My '39 Temperature Gage Retired.............

buick4547

Apparently my '39 Special's temp gage decided to retire today after 74 years of superlative service. Any way, it quit during a little joy ride I was taking today. It is pegged to the far left side - hot or cold engine - it doesn't matter. It has never failed before.

So, I'd appreciate some trouble shooting help. What do you think? Something tells me that I'll end up standing on my head wedged in between the seat and dashboard replacing the capillary tube, or whatever you call it, that runs from the gage to the engine. By the way, how is it fastened to the gage and where is the other end bolted to the cylinder head-I think the FRONT RIGHT HAND CORNER - if I remember correctly? I haven't looked at it much as yet. I'm giving myself a day of rest before I tackle it.

Please tell me there is something simpler that could be the problem - because I'll certainly go there first.

As always, thanks for the help!

Jim

I don't know if the "left side" on your gauge is cold or not. If cold the it is possible that the system has developed a leak and the ether has evaporated. If stuck on hot then the situation is probably different.

I believe that it is highly unlikely that you can easily disconnect the capillary from the gauge head: These things were built as a sealed system and you'll need to remove the sensing bulb, the capillary and the dash unit from the car in one piece.

There are places that will repair them. If you determine that the fault is lack of ether from a leak and if you are a "do it yourself" type of person it is possible to replace the capillary and sensing bulb. See: 1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair

It sounds very much like you have cracked or broken the capillary tube. Somewhere on the forum is a detailed description on how to repair them but it is probably best to just remove it and give it to an instrument repairer to do it properly.

Danny

I don't know if the "left side" on your gauge is cold or not. If cold the it is possible that the system has developed a leak and the ether has evaporated. If stuck on hot then the situation is probably different.

I believe that it is highly unlikely that you can easily disconnect the capillary from the gauge head: These things were built as a sealed system and you'll need to remove the sensing bulb, the capillary and the dash unit from the car in one piece.

There are places that will repair them. If you determine that the fault is lack of ether from a leak and if you are a "do it yourself" type of person it is possible to replace the capillary and sensing bulb. See: 1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair

The far left is cold. It is stuck on cold. Thanks for your help. I didn't realize those things were so complicated. Thanks for your response.

It sounds very much like you have cracked or broken the capillary tube. Somewhere on the forum is a detailed description on how to repair them but it is probably best to just remove it and give it to an instrument repairer to do it properly.

Danny

Thanks Danny. It is hard for me to belive that I cracked or broke the tube since I haven't been any where near it. But then something had to happen???? I guess I'll take your advise and give it to an expert. But let me whine one more time about having to stand on my head to remove the gage which is located at the worse possible postion on the dash and hardest to get to. Whine Whine Whine! Now I feel better - somewhat!

Danny

One more question for whomever wants to answer. Can someone recommend a good firm for gage repair to whom I can send the gage and tube to get them repaired?

Thanks again,

Jim

Guest Grant Magrath

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Danny's right. Those tubes are filled with ether and so need an expert's attention. Getting the bulb out of the head can be a bit of a mission as well, let alone the contortionist act of getting the gauge out. Might be easier to undo the gauge cluster, pull it forward and get at the gauge from up top.

Cheers

Grant