Weird project

Guest jeff j

Guest jeff j

1963 Clark Cortez,built by Clark Equipment co,all steel bodied 'mini motorhome,slant 6,4spd,front wheel drive,3490 total built,RESTORE?,Custom build it with a 360HP?,anyone got any suggestions?

Good question for a vintage motorhome forum. I don't know of any but I bet they are out there.

I think the Cortez has a cool vintage look and wouldn't mind having one. There is a good chance that it does not need much mechanically. I base this on the fact that the average motorhome travels only 3000 miles per year and are built on heavy duty truck chassis capable of going hundreds of thousands of miles before they wear out. It would be like buying an old low mile car gummed up by sitting.

I believe these were the ones made in my hometown - Battle Creek Michigan. 1963 was the year I was chasing girls in high school. I'd say they certainly worth restoring if you've got a good basis. Have not seen one in many years but it was the beginning of something really big in the RV industry.

Terry

Guest jeff j

my cortez,is an early 64,4/20/64,#218 built,it was built in battlecreek,has the stock 225/slant 6,4speed transaxle(not locked up) its about 90% complete & origional,interiour is partially there,but pretty well trashed,& will need a major overhaul. my issue is the weak drivetrain & massively under powered,i'v got 2 concept ideas for it,1=using a 1958 dodge 4x4 1ton chassis under it & v8,or i stumbled onto a 46 dodge 1,1/4 ton 6x6 chassis,fairly cheap,i personally like weird& custom,but if its worth saving as an original,i'd rather 'off' it,& get something i can 'play' with,that was actually my question,restore,find someone else who can do it right?,or strip it,& go radical??

Guest jeff j

the Cortez is really cool,but i'v got several other active 'projects' currently, an 84 ford e350 ex red cross van/ambulance,being converted into a pickup, a 90 ltd/crown vic excop car,its getting a 90 LSC 5.0/H.O,0.40 over & blown(my grandpa hot rod),& just aqquired a 67 buick wildcat 2dr cpe, all origional,430cid ,full 'sport package' car,already got my plate full,so this cortez isn't really a full resto job i need right now