Nailhead distributor hold-down

Guest pgadler

Guest pgadler

Hi all,

Today I am feeling all thumbs, even a jerk. I have spent some time today doing a tune-up of the ignition my '65 401 Riv.

But.... The hold-down nut on the distributor seems to be impossible for me to get at, and free.....

First the vacuum advance is in the way, secondly the accelerator linkage on driver side, thirdly the hoses to the heater core under the dashbpard.

Trying from the passanger side, I can't get space enough to turn my ring spanner.

I tried Youtube and Google to find some tips, but it seems that it is only me that has this problem ???

So please;

- Exactly what tool do You use to tighten/lossen the hold-down nut on the distributor?

- Do You remove anything else to get good access?

- Other hints/tips.

Not the first time doing tune-up on an engine, but the first time on a nailhead....

Patrik,

Sweden

You use a distributor wrench that is designed for this job.

It is a box-end wrench and the handle is bent like an L shape. Do a Google search for that.

You can also try a socket on a U-joint, but I have less luck with that.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)

Guest pgadler
You use a distributor wrench that is designed for this job.

It is a box-end wrench and the handle is bent like an L shape. Do a Google search for that.super thanks

You can also try a socket on a U-joint, but I have less luck with that.

Super thanks! I understand Your description. Do You know the size? So I don't need to do trial-and-error-buying...

/Patrik