GM Body Style Codes

MrEarl

Until about the later 1970s, the various GM body series' letter designations were not prevalent in their parts books. For example, a '70 Chevy Impala/Caprice/et al was "Passenger", Chevy II was "Chevy", Camaro was "Camaro", Chevelle was "Chevelle", Monte Carlo was "Monte Carlo", and the Buick parts books used the basic VIN series numbers (i.e., 4000 = Special, 5000 = LeSabre/Wildcat). As for Chevy engine designations, there were usually the normal 6 cyl and 8 cyl deals, 2bbl and 4bbl, but past that it was "code" . . . 327/300 = 327 4bbl dual exahust, 327/350 = SPE (special performance engine), 327/365 = SHPE (special high performance engine), 327/375 = FI (fuel injection), and the L-88 427 = 427 HD.

In the front of the Chevy car parts book, there was a listing of every model and it's VIN designation, which was broken down in series, trim level, body style, and 6 cyl or V-8. Later, this was done in more of a chart. As for telling which engine the vehicle had from the VIN . . . the engine digit was either "even" or "odd" (I don't recall which one was 6 cyl or V-8), with no specific list of which engine matched which code number (although some seem to have another source which decoded that in the pre-1970 model years).

As I recall, the 1969-87 Grand Prix cars were all G-cars, as were some Olds Cutlass Supremes. I don't recall any Chevy's having G-designations, even the Monte Carlo, other than as a "trim level" of Chevelle (as in AG87 for a Monte Carlo, which were all 2-dr hardtops).

In the later listings, the Camaro was listed as both "F" and "T". ONLY the "F" designation is accurate. "T"s were only Chevettes and Pontiac T-1000s--period.

Thanks for that link, Mr. Earl.

Enjoy!

NTX5467