CRT issues

Guest Recian

My CRT has been giving me hell recently. When it's under 40 degrees it wont react when I start the car up. The buttons or touch wont work. As the car warms up while driving, all the functions will start to work. It will take about 10-15 mins to get full functionality out of it. I hate to condemn it. The screen is clear and doesnt shake. Any ideas?

Guest steveskyhawk

Anybody that has a car with a CRT should have a Kent Moore CRT tester. They show up on eBay all the time.

Recian may need a CRT or a CRT controller. Impossible to diagnose without proper tools.

Once a diagnosis is confirmed I have good used and overhauled CRTs (2 year warranty) in my eBay store.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Either touch screen on top of CRT which is separately replaceable, or the CRTC. Kent Moore tester would confirm which one it is. Should keep a spare CRT hanging around anyway as a spare.

The 40 degree bit sounds like a cracked solder joint, when contracted it is open but when is warm, it expands & makes contact. Should be visible but may need a magnifying glass. Bag on side is for touch scream. CRT circuit board is inside.

Guest steveskyhawk

Padgett brings up a good point in regards to faulty CRT/touchscreens. It isn't a very scientific method but when I check a CRT I hold it up and slap it constantly while the signal generator is testing the unit. I do this to expose the possibility of a cracked solder joint. I do my best to make each unit fail on the bench rather than send out a bad unit to a customer.

I do my best to make each unit fail on the bench rather than send out a bad unit to a customer

Finally an indisputable disadvantage to not living in the frozen North. Where you gonna find 40 degrees? I suggest you rent yourself a meat locker. :D