fuel tank is winning the battle

Guest jasontreff

Guest jasontreff

ok I have a 37 plymouth tour sedan deluxe. the tank is original. the car runs out of fuel. I fill said tank, the tank takes roughly 8 gal to fill... It's a 16 gal tank???? At this point I have takeen the down spout out figuring it was rusted through or something to that nature. Not the case, it does look repleced at some point in time but it is solid.

this has happen several times over last summer, so I figured I would treat it like a boat and fill it every time I left the house. Now that winter it here (in theory) I got the car apart for the little things to take care of with the tank being at the top of the list. I've got the other things taken care of and the tank still makes me scratch my head.

Everything from the pump forward is new, the fuel lines are new. The carb is not for a plymouth but is period correct. The issue with the carb is it dumps way, way to much fuel and i get a bit of black smoke other then that the car runs and idles fine..Now I doubt its a floaty in the tank bcuz when the car sits for a minute or 2 it still will not start add fuel and turns right over??

Help ?????

Hi,

That sounds a little confusing.

My first question would be have you pulled the tank? The reason I ask is it's possible you have something in the tank that is plugging the outlet from inside the tank. (floating debris)

The other thing that comes to mind is when you add the 8 gallons are you sure the tank is full or is that when the nozzle shuts off? I've known of vehicles that aren't vented well and when filling the tank the pressure inside the tank builds up and shut the nozzle off before it's full.

Lastly I would make sure I have a vented gas cap.

Good luck. Carl

Guest jasontreff

hi and thank you,

yeah the tank is off the car at the moment. there was no garbage or floatys in the tank. i did seal ths inside myself with the eastwood tank sealer, so the tank was washed throughly. we actually also took out the down tube figuring it was bad, but its fine. the venting issue is something i will keep my eye on, i believe i am ok(the orig gas cap is on the car) but will keep the idea in mind. 2 things I should of mentioned in the orig post.

1. sending unit does not work, i just got a replacement to install when the down tube is put back in. so i can guage issue closer.

2. the car is bone stock original from 37

Jason,

Your car has me stumped as well. Sounds like you have covered all the bases that come to my mind. I'm just wondering if when you put it back in the car the tank takes the full 16 gallons. Have you had this problem when you kept the tank full?

We will keep thinking about it in the meantime. Hope when you solve your mystery you will give us an update, I want to know the answer also.