No instrument dash lights or turn signals in my 53 Super

WillBilly53

So while I'm awaiting the starter to be fixed at the shop and learning about carburetors, I'm focusing on the electrical. I got the original am sonomatic radio installed and working. I don't have instrument lights, map lights nor turn signals (on the outside nor the indicators in the speedometer housing.) I've got headlights with the beam selector switch working correctly and taillights work as well. I can't test the brake lights just yet, as the new brake system is dry. Was wondering if someone has a run down of some troubleshooting for this. I figured I'd first start with the dash lights. I've got all brand new bulbs and new wiring harness. I've got 2 original light switches, same results with either one. I'm guessing the rheostat must be toasted, but is there a way to by-pass that to see if the wiring and bulbs are working and that the switch itself may be the culprit? I've tested the voltage with a multimeter at the 3 terminals at the back of the light switch and I get a 12 volt reading, but at the dash light and map light terminals on the switch, I get a .01 reading which I assume is the problem. I've tried bending the lead from the rheostat to the middle terminal (taillights and license plate light) as to not make the connection, but that doesn't work either.

As for the turn signal, I'm going to try a new flasher unit for the fuse panel tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts as far as the instrument lights are concerned?

I'm really hoping to drive Naomi up to the BCAs near my hometown in Concord/Charlotte this year.

edit: the turn signal indicators are in the amperage/oil temp gauge (left) and the gas/oil level gauge (right) not the speedometer as I stated.

Edited by WillBilly53
incorrect information (see edit history)

Are the light bulb sockets set into the instrument panel, or hanging free?

If hanging freely, then you don't have a ground. When the socket is installed in the instrument cluster, then the circuit is completed. If you have a test wire with allegator clips on the ends you may want to attach one end to one of the tabs that hold the socket in place in the instrument cluster, and then ground the other end to bare metal around the dash board somewhere, and then try your lights again.

Since you have jumper wires, hook one end to one side of the rheostat, and then touch the other side of it with the other end. That should bypass the rheostat and the dash lights should work, if they are grounded. I don't think the light switch has to be grounded. The power should come in and be distributed through the switch when the lights are activated. Each light bulb should be individually grounded to complete it's circuit.

You may also want to check your wiring diagram instructions to make sure you have the proper wire for the dash lights hooked to the proper terminal on the switch.

hmmmm... still nothing. however, i did manage to get the hi-beam indicator and turn signal indicators inside to work! i've got the wiring diagram from the original manual and the ynz's wiring harness instructions/diagram and have everything correct that I can see. truly baffled. guess i'll keep going through it.

Then use the jumper wire to hook the light switch power supply directly to the output side of the rheostat, and the lights should work. Even with the switch off. Don't hold it long. Just see if any light up. If they still don't work I'd get some new bulbs.

If they do work, you may want to dissassemble one of your switches and disconnect the rheostat, hooking the two wires together so that it's out of play all the time. I did this on my 56 as I like the dashboard lights bright.

Its times like this when I think of one of my favorite Churchill Quotes:

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm"

You sure have had your trials with your project but you haven't let it get you down...now you get to enjoy a small victory.

I really do relish these sweet little victories. going on 10 years now I've been working on her off and on. We've lived in 4 different towns all over the southeast so it's amazing that I've kept up with her all this time. Looking forward to actually driving her for the first time!