question about master power window switch

starfireelvis

Question regarding master power window switch on '65 98 convertible; all the windows work except for the front driver's side (the one always most used).

Of course, it could be (and likely is) the motor; but if this is the switch, the set-up for it is on the arm rest, not flush against the door panel. I don't know if this is one self-contained unit (as would be the case with most cars with the switch on the door panel), or if each of the switches are separate, so to speak.

If it is the switch, would only the one for the window need replaced, or as I suspect, will the entire unit need replaced, or if it can be repaired, any suggestions there?

I know basic troubleshooting tips, but feel free to chime in with any suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Mike

It's a four-gang switch and serviced as an assembly. The great thing is that switch was used from about 1962 on into the 80s on cars with armrest mounted switches. As in the one from my 69 Toronado came out of an 80s Ninety Eight. Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac also used these switches so finding a good used one should be no problem.

If the motor has to be changed out, do yourself a favor and pay no attention to the 65 body manual R&R procedure. There is a shortcut in later manuals that allows R&R the motor without taking the entire regulator out of the door. Basically involves a template that you tape onto the door to locate the motor mounting bolts. Use a 5/8" or 3/4" hole saw on a drill to cut out access holes for those bolts.

Believe me when I say that beats hell out of taking that regulator assembly out. I'd still test the switch before going thru all that motor removal hassle. Remove the connector from the switch and jumper from the RED feed wire to the LF window motor wires (I think purple and brown but I'll make sure in the wiring diagram). If the motor operates, it's the switch. If not, motor or wiring.

Thanks Glenn; found a decent shot of one (albeit one with power vent windows, and looks like a power mirror control as well). The car in question has neither of those options; I think I found or saw one of those 2x2 switches on eBay , don't know if it's still on there.

Also appreciate the troubleshooting tips as well!

Here's that pic...

post-49040-143138819305_thumb.jpg