Victory Six Front Springs

MIClassicGirl

If nobody here has them a good spring shop can make some. I had a front main leaf made for my 1931 coupe at "Detroit Spring". They may still be in biz. That 5 hour drive down I-75 may just be worth the trip.

Eaton spring is the only place I am aware of that has the original blue-prints ( supposedely ) for the springs that went into many of our D.B cars.

Thanks for the tip! Sometimes it's kind of nice being from the same state these cars were made!

Just did a search, place called Eaton Detroit Spring came up. Would that be the same place?

That is the place. They also made a front bumper bracket for my car. I had a borrowed item as a pattern from a buddy on that one.

Guest rbardin

The 1929 victory 6 that keeps showing up on ebay and is on it's site was my old parts car. the springs on it are good. Maybe he will sell them. You could ask also had good gas tank but every thing else is pretty bad.

rbardin....I called the guy from Idaho about his Vic 6...he's sending me pictures of the front springs from that car. He said they are in good condition, so we'll see! And I'm going to ask the question...he's asking a price I think may be fair, but my husband is whishy washy on it. $150 for the pair plus shipping. Called Eaton Detroit Springs....$575 for new pair front springs. What do you guys think?

150 is too much in my opinion because chances are they are worn, You cant bush the eye of a spring that is worn to hell and axpect the bushing to last and you cant succesfully re-arc these old springs in my experience because the metal is just lost its umph. You end up having to arc it too far just to stick for any length of time and then the ride height is all off. Just my opinion.

Does Robert no longer have the car, let me know so I can stop advising people to contact him.

If you could get them for 50.00 you might be paying too much ( if they are junk ) but it might be worth the gamble

Not picking on you Shannon ( please understand that ) but here is a perfect example of what was mentioned in another thread, simple, maybe foolish, almost not worth mentioning but it bugs me a little so I will mention it.

Since you were so adoment about defending a younger persons position on the other thread I can hopefully add this and you wont be offended but will maybe take it as a lesson.

You asked in your first post about help with getting springs, I offered an e-mail address of someone that I thought had the parts that you might need, Wether the springs are non-existant or are junk or are not for sale makes no matter.

I have since then added addit. info that may or may not help, would it of killed you to say thanks for the information.

I dont think it has much to do with age, I am older than you but not a great deal, I am not retired yet but working on it, its just a different mindset, we seem to be in such a rush to take but dont think of giving back.

Again not picking on you, but it does make some food for thought dosent it. :)

If it bugs me just a little imagine the guy that has it happen to him over and over again throughout the years, after a while he just stops offering help.

We should all be carefull, if this becomes our own attitudes than what are we teaching our children any different?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest brian j

My 2 cents worth. I live west of you near Duluth,Mn. I think you Yoopers stole all our snow this year! You have to give it back to us next year, or our snowmobiles will start to gum up! If you are "restoring" the car and hope to have a long lasting use of the car with a minimum of problems......buy the new springs. There's something to be said about not having to go back and fix something again down the line. If the cheaper springs you are looking at are in nice condition (and pass them by if they are not), and you are just looking to do a quick fix for the ones that are broke, so you can continue to motor down the road, and it's not a big deal to you to have to possibly repair it again.....give the cheaper ones a shot. Whichever you choose is mostly dependent on what you are trying to accomplish. Sooooo.....good luck. Regards

Sorry brian, but we don't even have snow here! At least not very much! We have a snowmobile race this weekend that I'm not even sure if we'll be able to run. Thanks for your thoughts on the springs.

Jason....I didn't realize I was coming off as being so ungrateful. Let me apologize now. I'm sorry.

No problem Shannon, hope I helped and John she acknowledged your help in post # 4.

This is the end of the discussion for me because I can just see it already possibly being manipulated into a negative post and lifes too short.

She apparently got the point I was trying to make and so it was not in vain

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest rbardin

"Springs"

After I removed most of the usable parts from the car and put those to the side. I left the front and rear springs and wheels attached so the car could be moved around. The front and rear springs looked OK. They are used and did show wear but not totally worn out. I did not keep them for my Vic. because they were not needed. New or used? If you can afford it, go with new ones. You asked before about the shocks for a Vic. 6, yes I do have all 4 shocks. Would I use them on my car? Yes, but only after spending the money to have them rebuilt. I offered Jason the rear axles at no charge if they fit his car and that he only pay actual shipping costs. Jason did offer to pay. They did not fit so off they went with the rest of the car that I did not want or need. I was looking for original zerks and Jason put me in touch with a fellow that had a few. The zerks were sent and I paid the shipping and a little extra for the favor. All he wanted was to know they were being used for a restoration and not being used by me to make money. Again Jason thank's for the help. I am lucky that I do not have to ask for $, but I do ask that the parts are going to a good home and are helping to keep another old car on the road and that the parts not be resold. I have kept some of the better parts and there were not many, for my own use. I will pass some along that I do not need. IF there is a real need. Are they brand new ready to bolt and go? No! Are they the real thing yes! Is restoring a car cheap? No! Is it important to use original Dodge parts? To me? Yes! I am still looking for NOS parts for free but so far I have had to take old parts try to give them some new life and and keep looking for the new ones that are free. Help each other to keep the old cars rolling, that is a good thing. Make $ on parts for sale? Not my business. For others making money is important because that's is their business and I totally support and hope they may have some of the parts that I do need. Help each other to keep'm rolling, "good thing" say "thank's", also good thing, but take advantage of a helping hand, "not a good thing".

ps. I have owned a "29 Vic". now listed on eBay. All I can say about the body if you need parts. Buyer beware. :-(

Guest Backyardmechanic
Not picking on you Shannon ( please understand that ) but here is a perfect example of what was mentioned in another thread, simple, maybe foolish, almost not worth mentioning but it bugs me a little so I will mention it.

Since you were so adoment about defending a younger persons position on the other thread I can hopefully add this and you wont be offended but will maybe take it as a lesson.

You asked in your first post about help with getting springs, I offered an e-mail address of someone that I thought had the parts that you might need, Wether the springs are non-existant or are junk or are not for sale makes no matter.

I have since then added addit. info that may or may not help, would it of killed you to say thanks for the information.

I dont think it has much to do with age, I am older than you but not a great deal, I am not retired yet but working on it, its just a different mindset, we seem to be in such a rush to take but dont think of giving back.

Again not picking on you, but it does make some food for thought dosent it. :)

If it bugs me just a little imagine the guy that has it happen to him over and over again throughout the years, after a while he just stops offering help.

We should all be carefull, if this becomes our own attitudes than what are we teaching our children any different?

She did thak all in post # 6

Quote........I was looking for original zerks and Jason put me in touch with a fellow that had a few. The zerks were sent and I paid the shipping and a little extra for the favor. All he wanted was to know they were being used for a restoration and not being used by me to make money. Again Jason thank's for the help...........Not neccesary Bob, as I mentioned I was glad to be able to help and yes Bob was ready to send me his spare rear-end at no charge, I need one for my own car, my axles are so worn that the bearings are spinning on the tubes.

Unfortunately after I did a little re-search I was able to determine that the parts just would not work so I had to decline the kind offer, thanks again for that though, it goes above and beyond what most people expect today from one another.