How do the wheels come off?

humber349

I want to get the wheels right off my 1928 Std 6 for cleaning.

I have not done this before so I checked in my 1928 Reference book.

Plenty of instructions on how to remove the tyres, but not the whole wheel.

I presume I remove the hubcaps, and is there a nut inside then?

What size spanners/wrenches do I need for the cap & nut please?

Are they all right hand thread?

Do I need a wheel puller??

Edited by humber349 (see edit history)

:) Hi Phil,

I'm assuming that you have wood spoked wheels. The front wheels will be simple. Just unscrew the hubcaps, take the cotter key and nut off, and the wheel should come right off unless the brake shoes are binding the drums. On the rear wheels, the same procedure, but you'll no doubt need a hub puller.

The best pullers are the type that screw on in place of the hubcap, but if you have to buy one measure the outside of the hub and the number of threads per inch on the hub threads, and just loosen the nut a few turns after removing the cotter key before screwing the puller on. I would guess that the threads are right hand thread as they are in the states. I have a '27 standard hubcap and will measure it and get back to you tomorrow.

:) kaycee

Thanks Chaps

One of the rear hub caps was only finger tight and came off easy.

There is a big rusty nut inside about 3/4" thread diameter and 1.1/2" A/F. No sign of a

cotter pin/key.

My 1928 parts list shows 2 R/H nuts and 2 L/H, do you think the left side of the car will be L/H thread?

Thanks Dale

I took your advice and got my wrenches out. One front wheel is off and one rear is ready for

trying a different removal method.

I love this car, I learn something new every day. Today I discovered 1" dia 14tpi UNS threads for the first time. 00. Latest update – new paint and wheels off | 1928buick

Edited by humber349 (see edit history)

Hi Phil,

The important thing on the rear wheels is to have the right puller. My '27 Buick Standard hubcap measures about 3 3/16 inch at the inside of the threads, and the threads are 16 threads per inch. The size and threads per inch are critical. After you screw the nut off a few turns and screw the puller on to the hub in place of the hub cap, tighten the center bolt on the puller until the wheel "pops" a little and remove the puller and nut.If you have a question, please respond. Good luck.

Phil,

Another comment: I suggested just loosening the rear axle nut a few turns initially because if you take it competely off when you screw the puller on and tighten the puller center bolt it the wheel will tend to fly off which would be dangerous. Take care!

Hi kaycee,

sorry I have got confused somewhere. I read somewhere on this forum a method for removing the rear wheels without a puller.

I do not have a wheel puller and not much chance of finding one easily in the UK. Has anyone got a spare 1928 Buick wooden wheel puller please?

Hi Phil,

'Sorry, I dont have a puller for your '28, but they do come up on eBay at times or there are guys mentioned that will machine a puller if you send them a good hubcap.. I don't advocate using the" hammer on the axle method", but an alternative might be driving or pulling the car or chassis slowly around a few turns on a bumpy road with the rear axle nuts loosened a few turns which normally shocks them loose.

We got the front wheels off easy, and the rear left side nut came off right handed. The front left is left hand thread.

Magic Brian the machinist has offered to make a new wheel puller for the rear, so I will wait for that, rather than getting the big hammer out.

See the photos and read this weeks progress please- 00. Latest update – new paint and wheels off | 1928buick

Guest jules greenway

Hi Phil

We had the same problem with the 1931 90-I made a puller and still couldn't get the wheels/hubs off, so we delved into the diff and removed the nuts on the inner end of the halfshafts and pulled them out complete, then pressed the shafts out of the hubs-it took ten tons! don't know if you can do the same on the 28?

we are really enjoying following your blog by the way-keep up the good work!

cheers

Jules

Hi Jules

The new wheel puller has arrived.

The right rear wheel came off very easy, but the left rear hub has a damaged thread.

We will file this before trying the puller on that wheel.

I gave Brian one hubcap. He then made a mandril with an external thread to fit the hub cap, and to test the puller for fit.

00. Latest update – new paint and wheels off | 1928buick

post-71527-14313882801_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

Happy that you removed your rear wheels the right way and it worked out for you. Now , on to the rest, and good luck!