1965 Pontiac Transistor Distributor???

Vince76

Is anyone familiar with the 1965 Pontiac Transistor Distributor???

I looked it up in my Pont. parts book and it says 65 and 66 GTO with 3 dueces.

Were they any good? Are they rare? Do they have any value?

I would appreciate any info I can get.

Vincent

This was an AC-DELCO unit that was also available on some Chevrolets in that same time frame. Such electronic ignitions were usually "add-on" type of units, unlike the later HEIs and such. As I recall, the whole idea of such units was to remove the current from the contact points so they'd not pit or erode so quickly and last longer. Plus a hotter spark as a result. Back then, an ignition tune-up was usually needed at about 12-15K miles, if the reduced erosion of the contact point surfaces would result in longer service life, that was an added benefit, plus possibly longer spark plug life.

Consider it a performance upgrade from the normal systems back then . . . which people usually had little trouble with anyway, but several types of "transistor ignition" had been around since the early 1960s, so it was time that somebody tried it in OEM applications.

These optional ignition systems, like Rochester Fuel Injection on Corvettes, were not really "everyday" options. IF you had them, it was a few extra points for the car, among the "car crowd", but few other people really cared. Considering the lower installation rates, such a vehicle at a car show would possibly draw attention from those who knew what it was.

You might possibly find out more about it in the 1st Gen Camaro and '60s Corvette websites. I suspect that's where the bulk of them were installed.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Back in the fifties you could buy electronic ignition conversions or build your own from plans in popular mechanics or electronics magazines. One brand I have seen several times was Mark 10.

The first car to offer them as factory optional equipment was Studebaker in 1961 or 62.

They used the normal points distributor, but the points only acted as a switch to trigger the electronic unit. It fed the current to the coil.

The result was supposed to be a hotter spark and less wear on the points.

Everybody in the US went to pure electronic ignition in the early seventies.

The newest car I have seen with points electronic ignition, is my 1974 Porsche 911.

I replaced the burned out original module with a Ford thick film ignition module from the 90s. The ignition now works 10 times better than new and the Ford module cost about 1/100th the cost of the OEM Bosch.

If you want to, you can change any points ignition car to electronic by adding the Ford module. As long as it is 12 volt negative ground.

The plans and instructions are on the net if you do a search.

Is anyone familiar with the 1965 Pontiac Transistor Distributor???

I looked it up in my Pont. parts book and it says 65 and 66 GTO with 3 dueces.

Were they any good? Are they rare? Do they have any value?

I would appreciate any info I can get.

Vincent

Optional on Pontiac starting in 1963.

D.

Guest Dick Whittington

The factory electronic ignition system was a performance improvement over the conventional point system, but.....left a lot to be desired when it came to reliability. The power transistors were not long lived. Before the advent of the MSD system, most of the NASCAR teams used the amplifiers.

I have probably repaired 100 or so of those things. If you want to use one today, I recommend that you get the drop in circuit board that uses modern circuitry. Companies such as Lectric Ltd sell them