63 Riv

Guest 63 rivenge

Probably where they put the push button starter when the starter circuit from the key wuit working.

My '65 has a similar 'fix', turn the key to the 'on' position and press the bypass button under the dash. I need to figure out what quit working so I can use the key to start it. :D

You're lucky, someone already fixed yours and at least plugged the hole.

Looks like it's time to learn fiberglass repair. That plug is also in the same place where the attaching nut is on the back side of the console. Chances are that the ear on the backside of the console is also messed up. For some reason, those tabs/ears are easily broken. Perhaps this plug is hiding some kind of "fix."

Ed

Looks like it's time to learn fiberglass repair.

Ed

Is this trim part plastic? If it's seen to be porus after sanding down the paint the "fiberglass" may stick. But, if it turns out that it's a non-porus surface the 'GLASS will separate over time. Once the part is off, remove the plug, find a "like" plastic, and make a flush plug. Use something that will both glue it in, and at the same time NOT melt the plastic, but is also easy to sand. Then after it's set, use a sanding block. Note that solvents will melt some plastics. For instance, leaving some putty knifes in acetone for too long have been known to melt the handles. Edited by rhb1999
addition information (see edit history)

Guest 63 rivenge

Thank for your help, here I found out the car was stolen in its day, and that maybe the reason for that plug,........will keep you posted