1958 Buick Gas Tank?

Guest daveh70

Guest daveh70

Based on my recent research, a new gas tank is not available for the 1958 Buick. Restoring the existing one is an option, sandblasting than renu coating inside and out. Bu has anyone succeeding in using a new reproduction for a 58 Chevy, for example, and modifying it to work on a '58? My car is the Special.

Guest Rob McDonald

Really, one could use a new, smaller gas tank from any number of other cars or even have a simple, squarish one fabricated. Just consider where the inlet must be to suit the through-the-bumper filler and be sure to mount the tank extremely securely, as much like the original as possible. Don't go too small though or you might not make it from one gas station to the next. Kidding.

There might be several options. In the GasTanks.com - Over 500 models of gas tanks for your car, truck or van website, you'll find pictures and specs for their tanks. Chevy listings go back to 1955, but I suspect some of the '50s Chevies might not work due to their behind-the-tail light fuel filler location. That many of this era's fuel tanks were offset from the center of the rear bumper, due to spare tire "wells" in the trunk's floor pan, this can affect things too. PLUS getting a sending unit which will be compatible with the voltages and sending unit's resistance values of your current system.

Vendors for earlier model vehicles can be found in Street Rodder magazine. Some in stainless, too, for a nominal extra charge. BUT with the dimensions and pictures, they might be able to build you one . . . for even more money. So, finding an application to fit "as stock" is probably a better option. The sending unit issues can be handled, one way or another.

As mentioned, getting your "replacement" tank mounted securely and safely, adapted to your current filler neck, are KEY things to replicate and make happen.

Perhaps somebody has some re-Renu-able tanks out there, somewhere?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Rob McDonald

The gas tank in my Buick is so generally rusted that, left in storage, it drains itself over the course of a year - with no puddles underneath! The bottom of the tank is always damp with fuel but it never accumulates into drips. It simply evaporates. I would definitely not park this beauty in an attached garage.

I do have an extra gas tank that I pulled out of a long-gone parts car. It's a bit dinged up but seems solid. I've got a can of gas tank sealer, so one of these days (Project #762.7) I'll give the spare tank a thorough flushing and drying, then get a good upper body workout, sloshing the sealer around inside.

Guest kiwi56r

I used a Mustang tank ( cheap and new $75 )and welded my filler neck into it as that was about the only usable part of the old tank. Its pretty close, had to shorten the tank straps slightly.

Guest daveh70

Interesting idea. I bet you had to shorten straps because the stock tank was 20 gals minimum. I believe those Mustang tanks hold 17?