1941 Chrysler fluid drive

skip1954

I wanted to ask if anyone would have any images of the m4 transmission and fluid drive in a 1941 Chrysler. All the components were removed from the vacuum to carb to the switches of the transmission, I have recovered most of the parts required to fix the problem. My major problem is that looking at the manuals and schematics, there is not a good picture of the exact locations for the shifting components, I think I am missing a mounting bracket for the switch to the carb and/or throttle, if I could see a picture of existing car with this set up I know I could mount all the components in the right way and the Trans will work as it should. Any information that you have would really help. You just don't find 1941 Chrysler Royals in Southern California

Guest De Soto Frank

Skip,

Can't offer you anything in the way of pictures of installations on real MoPars, but, on the '46-'48 versions at least, there was a special carburetor for the semi-automatic cars that had a built-in kick-down switch - a little plunger on the one side, and a terminal lug or female-bullet on the opposite side. There were two different versions of the dashpot that retarded throttle closing: one with a spring-loaded screw in top of the dashpot (actually the top casting of hte carb), the other version has an electromagnet with one or two femal bullet terminals into a little cover that bolts to the top of the carb.

There should be a relay that mounts on the firewall, above the steering column, but below (or beside ) the voltage regulator.

As for brackets, I think there is a bracket to mount the vacuum shifting servo to the transmission, and a bracket on the other side to secure the outer conduit of the lock-out cable.

I will check the factory parts book I have for my '41 De Soto ( which used the same smei-automatic transmission set-up), and if there are any good detail photos, I will see about getting them scanned and sent your way.

These are kind of rare, the M-4 being used only in the 1941 and '42 models.

The shop manual should at least have a clear schematic for wiring the system.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank all of you for the help with the fluid drive, I am back on the road. I found a place in Torrence, California that was able to do the work. I really wanted to thank Desoto Frank and Rusty O'Toole, thanks for putting up with my questions, it's all down hill from here.

My next question is exactly which oil to use (30W non-detergent) ?

What is the final conclusion on the tires (Bias- Radial) ?

OIl for what? If you mean the engine do not use 30 non detergent. Use a good multiweight detergent oil. Rotella 15W40 is a favorite, or any good brand 10W30.

Detergent oils were introduced in 1947, multigrade in 1951. They were the default choice at all garages and dealerships from the fifties on. I worked in a garage in the sixties, nobody used non detergent single weight oil except cheapskates driving worn out oil burning clunkers.

Don't listen to the bullshit put out by self styled experts.

• 3 weeks later...

Fustydad:

Thanks, I have worked out all the problems, I was having with the transmission. Now I am completing the interior restoration. Now I am redoing my front end suspension, the only part I would like to have is the lower control arms, in the near future.

Skip