Missing Body Number Tag

Ron K.

I have yet to receive my membership in the LZOC so am operating in the dark with only help from you folks. The tag with the body number on my '40 Cabriolet has been removed and I wonder if a cross reference is possible to it by using the frame number in Ford's factory records?

Guest Jim_Edwards

I'd call the Ford Museum at Greenfield Village they might be able to help. On the other hand most of the old production related records were destroyed when the Rotunda Building burned to the ground in the 1960s.

I have yet to receive my membership in the LZOC so am operating in the dark with only help from you folks. The tag with the body number on my '40 Cabriolet has been removed and I wonder if a cross reference is possible to it by using the frame number in Ford's factory records?

What is your vinn number? I have Dave Coles list of 1940 coupes and convertibles from back in LCOC. It may be on the list. At least we could come up with a close number . Lee Waldren smiley303us@yahoo.com. Lee

Guest Jim_Edwards
You did mean on the trunk lid, not under the gasket on the body where the lid locks down, didn't you?

I think he is speaking of the rear of the trunk lid somewhere between the hinges. I take from one of his comments it may be dead center. But of course those numbers are not going to reflect the color, trim, etc.

Ron, once you order your build sheet from the FORD Archives you will find your body number listed...should be either body #141 or #142. Dave Cole's registry lists serial #98362 as havng body #140. Anyway the build sheet will have listed all the extra features your car was constructed with...radio, Goodyear or Firestone tires, upholstry material key numbers ...all the extra goodies. Have fun restoring it. John

Ron, once you order your build sheet from the FORD Archives you will find your body number listed...should be either body #141 or #142. Dave Cole's registry lists serial #98362 as havng body #140. Anyway the build sheet will have listed all the extra features your car was constructed with...radio, Goodyear or Firestone tires, upholstry material key numbers ...all the extra goodies. Have fun restoring it. John

Yes number 140 H98362 was in Harvey, La in 1967

the next number we had was H98519 and was # 147 it was in Austin, Texas

You have a span of 6 numbers> I have photo copies from Ford of the Continentals that I have had. It gives you a lot of information as to when built day and year \, equipment and where shipped to. In a few cases I even got original owner If it was special ordered. Lee

Thanks, it is already on my to do list. I will send for both body 141 and 142, will that by $40 then?

Ron

All Ford needs to get you the informaation is your VINN number. They will give you the body number and it will only cost $20 and give you your body number no guessing. Lee