Seized Convertible Top Cylinder

Ron K.

I hate to be dominating this forum but need some more advice. The right cylinder that powers the convertible top is "frozen" and after a number of days of trying to soak it with penetrating lubricant, it still will not move. I am being careful not to apply too much pressure in fear of damaging it. Any ideas?

Guest Jim_Edwards
I hate to be dominating this forum but need some more advice. The right cylinder that powers the convertible top is "frozen" and after a number of days of trying to soak it with penetrating lubricant, it still will not move. I am being careful not to apply too much pressure in fear of damaging it. Any ideas?

I'd take that puppy to a hydraulics shop where they are used to dealing with similar issues all the time.

After 30+ years of sitting with brake fluid, my top cylinders were both full of a solid, smelly goo. I took a bent wire and rodded them out as best I could. I had to sand the exposed piston shaft with emory cloth. I put both auto trans fluid and NAPA tractor fluid (which I prefer) in the holes, and was eventually able to work the piston back and forth. Then I rodded them some more.

I also had to clean the tubing with an old speedometer cable. I eventually gave up and bought a 1960 top pump, had it rebuilt, and mounted under the back seat. I used two relays to operate from a toggle up down switch I mounted under the dash. Now the top goes up and down with reasonable dispatch. I still have to use a screw driver to bring the shrunken top pins to their receptacles in the windshield when putting up.

Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.

Abe

Ron,

The 40 cabrolets had a vacuum system to raise and lower the top. Id take the offending cylinder out and keep adding penetrating oil to it and if you can get the rod to move just a teenie bit, then you are on your way to freeing it up. I would imagine it is nothing more than the seal inside has stuck to the walls of the cylinder can. There are replacement seals available from one of the vendors listed in the Sources section.

Tom

It looks like I am going to have to remove this cylinder to work on it, which I assume means removing the back seat and the panels on which the arm rests are attached. I just received the Ford Service Manual and Lincoln Chassis Parts Catalogue but neither of them address the convertible top parts or power equipment, is there any known written material on this system?

Go to the Boos-Herrel web site listed in the Sources section, click on diagrams and you will find a diagram of the top along with the vacuum cylinders, I think it also shows the routing of the vacuum lines as well. It is really pretty simple unless you take the top irons all apart for restoration and wait 30 years to put it all back together like someone I know did. (dont ask how I know)

Tom