AACA 75th Anniversary Celebration

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DagoRed

After accessing this site, my laptop was infected with 'Win 7 Antispyware'. Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 is just one of many fake antivirus applications like Antivirus Live, Advanced Virus Remover, Internet Security 2010, Security Tool, and others that hold your computer hostage until you pay their ransom money. They tell you that your PC is infected with fake viruses, and prevent you from doing anything to remove them.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I have poked around that site a bit and have not had that problem. Do you remember what part of the site you were on when the problem first appeared? It is certainly possible to have a problem somewhere that I have not explored, but I would think it unlikely.

Guest DagoRed
I have poked around that site a bit and have not had that problem. Do you remember what part of the site you were on when the problem first appeared? It is certainly possible to have a problem somewhere that I have not explored, but I would think it unlikely.

Matthew:

I had just entered the site when the proverbial wheels fell off with all the splash screens and non-sense created by these hostage takers. It could have come from somewhere else, but the circumstances seemed to circle the wagons a bit.

I'm using my remaining stable computer to get the where-with-all to remove this scurge as we speak, so I'm not real eager to use it to verify the offending source. The fix is lengthy and may not be the answer - and is in-process right now. Just thought I would post a bit of caution for others so they won't have the same outcome as I.

Good luck. I have helped a few friends clean up PCs after they mistakenly clicked to accept that virus laden software. If you ever see it pop up again, Hit Ctl +Alt+ Delete and you can then manually stop the process that is waiting for you to click either accept or decline... both of which will run the virus. After manually stopping the program from the task manager window, you can run most any legitimate virus scan to kill it.