a big fan

Guest NintendoKD

Guest NintendoKD

I am fascinated by this motor, I want one. I am curious, has anyone ever run any custom cranks or custom/exotic firing orders? I would like to see if I can get one and put a custom grind flat plane crank in it. Not only would it smooth things out but you would be able to esily make more power. Also any F-style heads floating around out there or OHV conversions from guys like duntov? I get it it was an old, and hardly reliable motor from the 40's but I like it and would love to see some juice flow from this thing. The love comes from L-6 engines, being that this one in particular is a set of two L-6's working together I like that even better. I also wonder if ther have been any improvements in bearing design, oil, and coolant flow that are used in the rebuilding process that helps reliability? I apologise for no introduction, I am not an owner, just a fan. Search out my username on Google t ofind me all over the web, and not as a troll. I would love to build one and put it into something cool, shoot even my machinist that has been doing it for 40+ years didn't even know where to point me to. I know some of the particulars, 7 mains, 7.25:1 compression, single barrel carb "amazing" with cooling problms "plaguing most flatheads" especially in the more bored versions of the motor, probably also stemming from the long engine size and inadequate water pump. This is actually a perfect model for my adiabatic motor project.

Very Respectfully,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

Sounds like an alcohol induced motor rant, albeit astoundingly coherent with correct grammar running rampant through the post. Everyone knows that an L-6 has combustion issues unless adjusted with a left handed slip slotted slit fitter to a modicum of gasamonious congruence.

Guest NintendoKD
Anybody able to figure out what this guy is talking about?

just a fan of the L-6, found out about this motor and am very interested in it as well. I was wondering what kind of power some folks are seeing from a motor like this? Has anyone ever run a flat plane crank "think ferarri" or any custom cooling systems to augment the poor factory one that is in it. I know what you are thinking, "why not just build a sbf, or another more available v-8?" I say "it's like earthworm reproduction, asexual, where the hell is the fun in that?" uncommonenginering does some pretty radical stuff, anyone here doing anything unique with their zephyr v-12? or just a bunch of restos?

Guest NintendoKD
Sounds like an alcohol induced motor rant, albeit astoundingly coherent with correct grammar running rampant through the post. Everyone knows that an L-6 has combustion issues unless adjusted with a left handed slip slotted slit fitter to a modicum of gasamonious congruence.

Ah! I see that you are being facetious there. Touche! demo mada jozu ja arimasen kedo.

No alcohol, pure gasoline, pure motor, no nos or other crap, big fan of Smokey Yunick actually. I was also wondering, does the camshaft provide for any valve overlap at all? or isn't there any? I assume some sort of exhaust heat riser to aide in vaporizing the gasoline vapor? How are cold starts?

NintendoKD,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. This is a forum dedicated to preservation and restoration (to original condition) of Antique Cars.

I still don't quite understand the point that you are trying to make, but if you have interest in restoration or preservation of antique cars, you have come to the right place.

Guest NintendoKD
NintendoKD,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. This is a forum dedicated to preservation and restoration (to original condition) of Antique Cars.

I still don't quite understand the point that you are trying to make, but if you have interest in restoration or preservation of antique cars, you have come to the right place.

My apologies, I was looking for a technical section to ask some more detailed questions about the marvelous zephyr v-12 motors that I just cannot seem to find anywhere else. It seems that everywhere I go, the answers are just no. I just want some information on the zephyr v-12 motors from a veteran builder, or rebuilder that I hoped to find here in this community. So far I have only found misunderstanding. I also apoligize for not being more clear. There are, however, stock rebuild questions that can be answered here.

Edited by NintendoKD
sp grammar (see edit history)

Guest NintendoKD

I have had some luck from the jalopy journal, who ultimately referred me here. I have looked, at length all over the world wide web, to include wikipedia, shoot, I even tried hemmings motor news.

Edited by NintendoKD
sp (see edit history)

Guest NintendoKD

My goodness, looks as though I am in the complete wrong section here, any chance that a nice MOD could possibly find it in their heart to transfer this over to the lincoln & zephyr section? please. I just found what I was looking for, and feel like a complete fool.

Edited by NintendoKD
spelling (see edit history)

Back in the forties and early fifties Lincoln Continentals often got their original engines replaced with hopped up flathead Ford and Mercury V8s. The V8 was just a better motor in many ways, not to mention cheaper and easier to work on.

To put it another way, the ultimate hopped up Lincoln V12 is a Mercury V8.

Not that you can't build a Lincoln V12 if you want to. You can. But you better have a lot of time, money, talent, and machinery. And you better not expect very much power or very long life either.

Now if you really want the ultimate flathead look at the 1938-40 Cadillac V16. It starts off with a lot more displacement and horsepower and is much more amenable to souping up. But once again you better have a healthy bank balance and plenty of savvy.