1925 studebaker 11inch headlamps purple tint ?

Guest newstew

Guest newstew

I just purchased a 25 special six coupe, I fell in love with these rose colored headlamp lenses and the sharp line along the hood and cowl It is a true barn find too 99 % complete. Can anybody tell me about theses lamp lenses ,They are 11 inches from bezel end to end, and they have bumps all over them and they have a very distinctive rose or purple tint I also need a ignition key YALE # 415 and a radiator Thanks in advance to any help here .

I had a pair of early lenses once with the Rose / Purple tint and was told they were originally clear but exposure to UV light over years causes a chemical change in some glass formulas to change to the Violet hue.

What brand name is molded in the outer edge of the lens?

Stude8

Guest newstew

Thanks for your reply ,You are the second person to tell me that. When I pull the bezel off it should be clear under the lip. I will keep you posted, Thanks again Kenny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Newstew I have a 23 light 6 which also had tinted lenses on front side and one headlight from memory they are Wagner 1911 patient but look in Dikes and you will get more info.

They were and are tinted from new and covered in lumps both sides Regards Bill

Cobalt is added to the glass to remove yellow tint from the basic molten glass, if you add too much, it turns rose or purple with age. So I have been told. Ed