31 dodge "fold flat" windshield...won't

Guest R-ajax peterson

Guest R-ajax peterson

My roadster has a windshield that will fold to the cowl. The hinge point is secured by wing nuts. I have loosened them, however the frame won't budge. I'm sure that this configuration is common to many cars of this era. Do I have to unbolt the frame from the body to work this out??

Thanks, Rick

A little more information would help us help you.

Is the car restored, or an original? If original, it's possible the that the two pieces on each side, which should rotate, have some internal corrosion that's keeping them from moving. This, to me, is the most logical explanation.

Is the wing nut coming out enough to let the mechanical interference between the post and mounting bracket release?

Thus, there are two possible issues. One, corrosion that prevents rotation. Two, mechanical interference that prevents rotation.

Pictures would help us too....

Guest R-ajax peterson

I will post pics soon. In the meantime ....... the car is much original. The windshield and all related parts are in very nice original ( I believe ) condition. The wing nuts will come completely off. As will the washers underneath. I will report in with pics tomorrow.

Guest R-ajax peterson

Here are pics of windshield mechanism. I hope that I can free up the windshield without takeing the complete assembly off of the car. Any thoughts or experience ??

post-56345-143138747721_thumb.jpg

post-56345-143138747723_thumb.jpg

post-56345-143138747724_thumb.jpg

post-56345-143138747725_thumb.jpg

I had the same trouble with my 1929 Chrysler roadster windshield. Then I had a 1930 Dodge roadster body here with the stanchions and they folded right down after loosening the wingnuts.

Soak it in lubricant. Wait a few days. Heat it up best you can at the joint to expand it and let it cool. Use a good heat gun so as not to over heat it and screw up chrome. Be carefully when doing this and watch for paint, glass, rubber or anything else getting too hot. After this try rocking it back and forth gingerly. If you can without marring it try giving the joint a few good shocks to loosen the bond, I would suggest a wooden mallet for this. That's the steps I would try if a customer brought it to my shop. That is assuming that you are following the proper procedure for lowering the windsheild.

There really isn't anything holding it aside from the wingnuts. I agree with "foxhole" on how to fold it. I would try gently sliding a putty knife into the slots under the washers first to break the grip of rust, if any exists beneath the washers.