mercury taillight

Guest Foggy norm

Guest Jim_Edwards
Not the fifty's. What year was the big "V" taillight used, I think it was in the sixty's...not sure.

The only domestic Mercury I recall having a taillight that looked remotely like a big "V" would have been the Station Wagons of the 1970's and it would have been at a 90 degree angle to horizontal. In the back reaches of the mind I'm thinking there may have been an early Sixties Canadian produced "Mercury" that had large "V" taillights.

Guest Foggy norm

Thank's Guy's, I should have been more clear, it's the 59, perhap's I could have said...full V, filled in V, solid V, my dilemma. I'm sure that taillight was on all model,s, was always memorable. I don't recall Chevy's???

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thank's Guy's, I should have been more clear, it's the 59, perhap's I could have said...full V, filled in V, solid V, my dilemma. I'm sure that taillight was on all model,s, was always memorable. I don't recall Chevy's???

The general concept of the '59 Mercury taillight began with the 1957 models. In 1958 there were two versions one that was used on the Montclair and below models and one that was used on the Park Lane models. The latter was comprised of two lens pieces while all the others were of a single lens that had to be a bear to produce even with injection molding.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

It was an easy customizing trick. The whole taillightand some sheetmetal would be grafted inside the Impala's wedge shaped trim.