How to find the value of a Model T

Guest ColoradoAntique

Guest ColoradoAntique

I have a 1915 Model T from my parent's estate and I would like to determine it's value. It was restored by my father. How do I go about finding the value of this car?

There are a few factors to consider.

1) The 1915 is one of the more commonly "faked" years. The quickest way to verify that it is a real 1915, is to look at the horizontal metal plate that is just above the coil box lid on the dash. If it is a real 1915 or 1916, it will be an unbroken horizontal line. If the car has a later body made to look like a 1915, there will be a half circle notch in the horizontal line.

2) Does it have an original 1915 engine? That's easy enough to verify by the serial number stamped on the block, just above the water inlet.

3) Body style. Touring cars are a little more desireable than roadsters.

4) Condition. If the car's "finished" value is $15,000 but it needs $10,000 worth of work... of course it won't be worth near $15,000.

The Model T Ford Club of America's forum can be a great help. Just google "MTFCA forum". The forum's search function will provide you a virtual library of answers.

If you can post pictures here, that may help us help you as well.

This is a loaded question, but 1940-Buick is right. It is just not an easy answer.

There are more 1915's on the road now than were in 1915. You can fake one from any car chasis up to around 1919 when the electrical systems were added to the T. Therefore even e-bay sales will not really help as they could also not be genuine 1915's.

About 10 years ago I paid a premium thru one of the Model T parts suppliers to get my 15 roadster - a genuine 15, but since that time I've seen people pay up to 15k for an unrestored fake one.

Add pictures here and/or at one of the T club websites - MTFCA seems more active - and that will give a better picture.