Pictures on "How it should be?"

Guest Lasse

I (and I would think many other "noobies" doing restoration) would appreciate seeing pics on "how it should look like". For example, the whole front footcompartment on my 63 is a bit of a mystery for me, what should it look like with proper kickpanels, how should the carpet lay on the passenger site near the firewall etc? Also a pic of the dash all lit up would help. Thanks!

Edited by Lasse (see edit history)

Odd that you should bring this up, and with the specifics you mentioned. I've recently been wondering what the carpet and kickpanels on my '64 should look like, but since I know it's not something I will get to any time soon, I just wonder and don't take it further.

Onto the the real subject...

This is a good idea, for sure. The hard part is implementing it in a forum environment. The best way I can think of for a forum is to have a 2 Stickies maintained by a couple people. The sticky would have some easy to follow procedures, like this:

1) Sticky #1 is for requests. A request post should give precise information on what you are looking for with a minimum of Year and a description of what you need. If you are looking for something more specific, such as the the door panels for a '65 that doesn't have the deluxe interior package and whose interior color is blue, then list those details.

The requester really needs to put as much information on what they want in their post so it doesn't start a multi-post conversation just to determine what they really want. The goal is to have a clean thread with 1 post requests.

2) Sticky #2 is for responses. If you have a picture of what the person is looking for, post it with the details of what the picture represents.

Whomever can mod the 2 stickies would clean up the text, etc. and then delete the request from the request thread. That way, anything that is in the request thread are items that haven't had a picture posted.

That's the best I can think of for this forum. It may sound like a lot of extra work, but it's not. The only difference is instead of starting a new thread when you want to see what something should look like, you post your request in the Sticky thread and the person who has the pic you need responds in the other Sticky thread. If they forget to respond there, the mod can copy and paste the response in the correct thread and delete it on the other. No harm, no foul.

There are other options, such as a photo gallery, but I think 2 threads are a better choice because of the versatility it gives for keeping information with the picture.

The downside of stickies is they take up room on your screen. Two more stickies means the non-stickies get moved down 2 more spots. A nice work-around is to have subforums. A subforum just for "How it should be" would work. Along with a subforum for "Members' Rides" and other good sub-subjects.

Other ways to do it:

- Host the pics on the Rivowners site somehow

- Some 3rd party like myself that can set up another site just for this ( not recommended )

- Keep it the way it is where people ask for pics now and then and they get answered

If something does come of this where special threads are used to store the pics, I'll offer my services to "mod" them and clean up the text, keep a consistent formatting to the posts, etc. I'm more than slightly OCD in this respect so it comes naturally to me.

That's my 2 rusted fender bolts worth of ideas...

-BEPNewt

Each month the Riview has a showcase of "member's rides." For the most part, 90% of these cars have been restored to factory condition. There are ususally many pictures accomanying each showcase. These pictures can serve as guides for "how it should be." Each generation Riviera also has one or more "tech advisors" who know their cars inside and out. Their numbers and email addresses are listed in the Riview. They're more than willing to help; that's why they volunteer. A great resource, be sure to take advantage of it. Besides the tech advisors, the ROA keeps a library. Contact the librarian and see what he may have pictures of.

Also, a Google image search will ususally turn up quite a few nice pictures. Especially if there's someone out there trying to sell a Riv for more than $25k. That car will probably be original / restored to "as new" condition. You should be able to spot a customized interior pretty easily and avoid replicating that if you're trying to go back to original.

For you non-members; as many of us have said before, the best restoration bucks you can spend on your Riviera is a membership in the ROA.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

For you non-members; as many of us have said before, the best restoration bucks you can spend on your Riviera is a membership in the ROA.

Ed

Good advice !!

Exellent suggestions from Ed and Brian. ROA is of course a supreme resource, but I thought I would harness the power of this board for just a quick question and some as speedy answers. I know you guys have thousands of pics of your cars in different stages of restoration!

Ed,

The problem is, that there was really no carpeting (and no kickpanels) in the car when I bought it, just some rags. So I can´t really post any pictures that would help here, you´ve all seen a naked Riv floorpan before! I bought a molded carpet set, but without a model for reference it´s hard to cut and install it correctly.

What I´m looking for is: Close-up photos of the footspace from the firewall to the seats on both sides. How does the carpeting sit in there, how does it relate to the kickpanels and how far does it go on the console-side? And what do the kickpanels look like when intalled? And this from a first-gen Riv, preferably as standard as possible.

Does this help?

Guest Kingoftheroad
Here are some pics of 65's. I assume the 63's are very similar, if not the same in this regard. Let me know if these photo's help?

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01936.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

C102140.jpg

C102149.jpg

Thats beautiful Rob, is that considered "correct" ??

If yours is right then mine is right too:) Except mine is a 64...lol

Thanks a million Rob, just what I needed! A couple of questions:

What is the metal piece in the pic from the drivers side? (Marked in the pic)

Is there a kickpanel in the passenger/console side also? (Also marked in the pic)

Lasse

post-75661-143138727776_thumb.jpg

post-75661-14313872778_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks a million Rob, just what I needed! A couple of questions:

What is the metal piece in the pic from the drivers side? (Marked in the pic)

Is there a kickpanel in the passenger/console side also? (Also marked in the pic)

Lasse

Thats normal..

Lasse, that stainless kick panel is only on the drivers side, next to the gas pedal as you see it installed. On the console of the passenger side, there is a white/off-white plastic kick panel that is installed on the center console, but the carpet covers it, again as you see in the photo. I'll try and get a pic up of that white colored panel. Again, this pertains to the 65. I'm not sure if the 63,64's were exactly the same. I'm sure those owners will chime in.

Glad the pics were a help.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Lasse, that stainless kick panel is only on the drivers side, next to the gas pedal as you see it installed. On the console of the passenger side, there is a white/off-white plastic kick panel that is installed on the center console, but the carpet covers it, again as you see in the photo. I'll try and get a pic up of that white colored panel. Again, this pertains to the 65. I'm not sure if the 63,64's were exactly the same. I'm sure those owners will chime in.

Glad the pics were a help.

My 64 is the same way..

Here's a pic I just snapped out in the garage of the white 65 I'm working on now. You can see that light colored kick panel attached to the center console, and then the cardboard panel that is attached to the carpet.

HTH.

DSCN2928.jpg

Rob

Oh yes my friend, I see now that I´m missing more parts than I thought! I need the steel panel, that white plastic one + all the cardboard panels...

Thanks a lot for your effort, this really helps me out!

Lasse

Lasse,

Depending on how authentic you are going for, you will need to know if the interior is deluxe or standard. When it comes to the kick panels, there actually is a different template for each, also the vent cover is a different design.

I recently went through and replaced my kick panels, and (another OPGI nightmare) they didn't know that there were 2 styles so they only offer 1 in their catalog. The odd thing was the picture in the catalog was correct, but the panel shipped was not the same as the picture. The picture was for the standard interior but they only stock deluxe panels.

I have the standard interior. The vent covers have only 3 mounting holes, while the deluxe covers have 5. I believe that the deluxe interior had the kick panels carpeted but the standard interior was just painted. I attached a pic of my new kick panel.

I had the vent cover powder coated and used Chicago screws on the top 2 mounting holes, and the original screw in the bottom mount. Maybe someday I will tear out the whole interior and do it all, instead of piece-by-piece that my budget allows for now. :o

post-65039-143138728429_thumb.jpg

Chuck, thanks for the heads-up. Can´t remember right this second how many mounting holes my vent covers have, but I have the wood trims in the doors and below the side windows in the back. Isn´t that a deluxe feature?

That steel kickpanel can be a hard find, does anyone know if the vendors have another name for it?

Chuck, thanks for the heads-up. Can´t remember right this second how many mounting holes my vent covers have, but I have the wood trims in the doors and below the side windows in the back. Isn´t that a deluxe feature?

That steel kickpanel can be a hard find, does anyone know if the vendors have another name for it?

Lasse, ironically, I'm missing that stainless steel kick panel on one of my cars too, so I too, need to find one.

Not sure about the `63`s but all `65 floor vent covers have three holes whether the trim is standard or custom. The top two are for rivets which affix the cover to the cardboard backing and the 3rd lower hole accommodates the screw which secures the kickpanel assembly to the body.

Tom Mooney

Not sure about the `63`s but all `65 floor vent covers have three holes whether the trim is standard or custom. The top two are for rivets which affix the cover to the cardboard backing and the 3rd lower hole accommodates the screw which secures the kickpanel assembly to the body.

Tom Mooney

Tom, is there anything you don't know about these cars?:D

• 2 months later...
Guest onedesertdog

Thanks Silverarrow for bringing this thread back. It helps alot.

My pre-molded carpet( another story in itself) for my 65 has set in the garage since the end of last year while trying to figure out to install it properly.

I need to find out what goes behind the rear seats on that framework.

Guest onedesertdog
There should be a large cardboard panel which extends completely from left to right. The outside edges are sewn so the cardboard folds against the wheelwells slightly. The cardboard is finished cardboard and black in color.

Tom

Thank you for the info. I thought maybe it was a preformed panel covered with vinyl.

Is this cardboard something that could just be fabbed, or something to buy?

Thanks for the help,

Buddy