WTB 1955-1956 Cadillac Wagon

rwchatham

Guest Jim_Edwards
Wow! The actual work does not scare me but I am scared of missing parts. Will keep up the hunt, Thanks.

It should scare you, simply because Cadillac never built a station wagon. The vehicles being described as a Cadillac Station wagons were actually modified versions of hearses built by Hess & Eisenhard, who saw a market for such a vehicle. Some may have also been produced by another hearse maker of the time, S&S. There is likely no interchange of any body parts between those two coach builders.

However, the comment on the back glass being a bit of a challenge is perhaps less that true given Hess & Eisenhard used Chevy Nomad components at the rear of their "station wagon." The rear door was Chevy Nomad in 1956, as was the wrap around side glass. Of course anyone restoring a Nomad will attest to the fact the wrap around glass is a real problem.

If you just have to have a station wagon that more or less appears to be a Cadillac, it would probably be easier to buy a '56 Buick wagon, swap the interior, dash, and front sheet metal from a '56 Cadillac Series 62. It will all fit. Keep the nail head under the hood, it was a better engine than the Caddy 365!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, thanks for the info. The rear glass from a nomad does not work on these cars. I do love the buicks also, probably will buy one in the future but I really want to own one of the cadillac wagons.

You would be correct about the Hess & Eisenhard '56 versions, only the '55 versions use the Nomad gate/rear door. FYI in 1955 Hess & Eisenhard only built six such vehicles, in 1956 they built eleven. S&S built a total of 12 in 1956, but their variation looked more like their hearse/ambulance product of the time than a station wagon.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, maybe I better start looking for a buick , those numbers do not make many to pick from thats for sure.

No the pickin's are pretty slim to say the least considering some of the originals are probably no where to be found.

If it were me, I'd be more prone to look for an Olds because of the transmission. I never cared for a Dyna-Flo, aka Dyna-Slush. But whether you look for a Buick or Olds you might want to focus on 1956 or even 1957. '56 and '57 engines in both lines picked up a lot of horsepower over '55. One thing is for sure there is plenty of Buick and Olds folks around for help if needed and it's amazing how much parts support is still to be found among on-line parts stores for both brands.

Guest cadcliff

I have some 1955 Wagons that were built for the Broadmoor Hotel.

Recently sold a 1956 Viewmaster to a friend.

Ray- have you looked at any of the Wagons that are out there yet?

Actually in 1955 and 1956 Hess and Eisenhardt and S&S were the same company. Neither company existed independently. The data plates on these wagon say Hess and Eisenhardt and carry the S & S insignia on the same plate. If the car were still here I would sent a pic. These wagons were definitely not reworked from hearses. They were ordered produced by and sold thru the Cadillac Dealer network. We have worked on 2 of them, both from 1956. The side woodgraining is done directly on the sheetmetal of the doors, front fenders and rear quarters. The "wood" that frames the darker mahogany is fibreglas, also woodgrained but in a much lighter color.