Electrical wiring colours for 1923????

oldcar

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the people that I have been in contact with report that they just use black for everything. Hardly either "as original" or very professional in my book. I would have thought that by asking fellow Packard owners/restorers on this Forum I would have received the correct information. It would seem that very few Packard owners actually do any work on their cars other than sign the Cheques.

Unfortunately I am rescuing what was a totally derelict car and the original wiring was virtually non-existant. Strangely I enjoy doing things myself. Perhaps that is my problem, after 60 years of playing with funny old automobiles old habits die hard. What do AACA Show Judges look for or does it not matter provided the the wires are all hidden in nice chrome plated flexible conduit?

oldcar

Do have a look at my thread on Our Cars & Restoration Projects

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Guest car crank

Looking at the 1923-1925 Packard Eight Parts List on Packard Information web site pages 15-18 they do not give wire colors but bulk stock numbers. If you compare the numbers it appears that used the same stock #56546 for most of the of general wiring indicating that it would have been the same color. Stock numbers only changed on what might different sizes. No colors given though.

Good luck

...It would seem that very few Packard owners actually do any work on their cars other than sign the Cheques...

I think the lack of response may be more closely related to the very, very few participants in this forum that have a 1923 Packard in their garage. It appears that the AEA wiring diagrams prior to 1931 didn't bother with colour/color designations. That surprised me.

I do as much work as I feel I am capable of on my Packards... but I wouldn't even attempt to work on a car that requires advanced carpentry skills. I'm always impressed by folks that do work with these cars.

Good luck finding the answer to your question. If you have any questions regarding the 1948-1950 Chubby Clippers... Ask away!

EDIT:

...If you compare the numbers it appears that used the same stock #56546 for most of the of general wiring indicating that it would have been the same color...

Good luck

Well... if that turns out to be the case, it would certainly explain why the AEA charts didn't bother designating wire color/colour (black, black, black, black...)

Edited by JD in KC
Additional info (see edit history)

Thank You HH56

I have had a look at their website and sent them an e-mail. It appears that they use "armoured" cable (metal wound) for all wires in their looms but I have asked them a series of questions which they may or may not be prepared to answer.

oldcar