Tight clams?

Guest Birdman

Guest Birdman

Hi Guys,

When I shut my clamshell headlights (I have a seperate switch) they don't close all the way. How do I adjust them so they close tight without a gap?

Also I have an accessory switch between my courtesy light and antenna switchs. What should that switch operate?

Thanks for the help.

Guest carlbraun
Hi Guys,

When I shut my clamshell headlights (I have a seperate switch) they don't close all the way. How do I adjust them so they close tight without a gap?

Also I have an accessory switch between my courtesy light and antenna switchs. What should that switch operate?

Thanks for the help.

Birdman

I am in the process of rebuilding the underside of my 65 Riv and am now at the front end of the car and am currently refubishing the headlight actuator system. My system is working well with the headlights closing tightly in the OFF position but I am detailing the tubes and reinstalling them.

The horizontal and vertical control rods have adjuster screws on them that allow you to increase or decrease the length of each rod. I would suggest adjusting the shorter vertical tubes that run parallel to the headlight doors.

Take a look at the photo here and you'll see the vertical rod and the screw and collar that hold it in place at the length you need. This photo is the passenger side of the car. I think loosening the screw and adjusting the rod may get the lids to close tighter. Use some penetrating oil and let it work for a day before you try and loosen them.

Rivfrontendpics003.jpg

Edited by carlbraun (see edit history)

Also, look on the horizontal actuator arms where they connect to the motor itself. There are two screws that you can loosen to adjust the length of that rod, so that the clams will fully close and open. I just fixed my clams about a week ago, and just went through this procedure. It was actually easier that I thought it would be to replace the motor, and adjust the system.

See my video of my clams working here.

• 9 months later...

This was a nice thread to read. I don't seem to have major dramas with my clamshells, tho just tonight I had the second occurence of them not opening.

The last time was on the way home from a restaurant at night in a dark beachside part of town. Ouch.

Tonight, I had the car on a hoist at work so thankfully wasn't needing to drive it home, but I found the only way I could get em to open was to slam the bonnet. Voila. Open.

Switch off lights.

Switch on = nothin

Slam bonnet = open

I don't have the manual here at home with me, so I haven,t starting reading into it, but has anyone else had this occur? They haven't been used for a week or so. Just outta practise maybe,,, if youve had this symptom a hint would be good before I start fiddling with the wrong things.

Thanks guys

In regard to the clams not closing tightly, and assuming the gap is consistent on both sides, TECHNICALLY, the microswitch on the motor should be adjusted to deal with this.

Adjusting the linkage in any direction will affect both the open and closed positions of the related clamshell. So, if one adjusts either clam to close tightly via the linkage, one is reducing the open position by as much. This may not be a problem as long as the clams open widely enough to allow proper sealed beam op and appearance (the reason I qualified the above statement) but I have experienced a handful which required micro switch adjustment to acquire satisfactory open and closed positioning.

Whitewater..check your connections at the relay. Be sure the relay is securely fastened as this provides the proper ground circuit for operation. If that doesn`t do it disassemble the relay and file the contact points clean.

Tom Mooney

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look this arvo if possible.

Bloody thing has to start playing up when I'm planning to go away tomoro morning for a coupla days, doesn't it...

grrrr

oh well, at least I'll get out of driving out to dinner and the pub...

"sorry man, gotta go in your car - my lights don't work"

Other related link:

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/65-riv-hide-away-headlights-231039.html

I located the relay. Everything seems plugged in properly. There's what looks like another relay just a bit higher in the inner fender wall a coupla inches from the visor relay. What is it?

Tomoro my foreman and I will test to ensure power is getting where it's sposed to (well, I'll watch him and hopefully learn something)

I had the car up on the hoist and man, it's not looking very easy to get to the motor, tucked in where it is. Any hints?

As mentioned, the visors moved yday when I closed the hood. Didn't do it for me today tho...

Anyway, if we can be sure power is flowing we'll take the next step.

Thanks

Isnt there a tech bulletin on adjusting the clamshells to get a proper crush? Many years ago, i bought a car from Riviera guru Leonard Scott and he gave me some info on adjusting the visors. It involved sticking a block of wood between the visors where they met while being adjusted I will see if I can dig it up. If so, then I will post.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)