288ci head milled 0.040 ok?

aertex

Alan, I am not sure about the spec. relative to the 288 engine but one thing my machinist 9a Packard owner also) told me is that there is not a tremendous amount of valve clearance in the Packard heads, at least relating to my 282. Also, what is key is that it is tough to tell if they have been done before. This after I suggested "cleaning up the head" after a failed headgasket. He checked it and said it was well within spec. for flatness, and sugested leaving it alone. An honest, well thought out response.

Do you know for sure yours needs to be done?

Thanks Steve

Head has already been milled 40 thou-on an engine I am considering to buy. Head was torqued down wrong and bowed so was milled. Rest of engine was excellent and stock so was not touched

Turn the engine over and measure the lift. Then check the pockets for clearance. and then finally put the head on without the nuts, and turn it over to see if raise the head. if that works then put a small dob of clay on the valves and turn it over again to see if the head lift or the clay compresses, to determine you clearances. You can relieve the head a little, but I not sure how thick it is in this area. you wouldn't want to grind through it.

There lot of 288 heads around. I am planning for year 53 to put on on my super-8 to raise the compression to 9.3 to one. A friend has several laying around we just need to figure them out. I have a Edmund aluminum head, but I decide to save if for the formal sedan.

How much clearance should you allow for to account for the head being torqued down? Another comment the machinist made to me is that these heads should be "chased" down a couple times since mounting, to account for some gasket compression. Seems logical to me but would be another factor to consider, correct?

How much clearance should you allow for to account for the head being torqued down? Another comment the machinist made to me is that these heads should be "chased" down a couple times since mounting, to account for some gasket compression. Seems logical to me but would be another factor to consider, correct?

I like to torque to about 80% then repeat to 100%. The one should retorque after a few heat cycles to insure all is well. Now if you use molly lube on the thread be careful not to over stretch the bolts. the torquing pattern is center our and can be found in post old shop manuals.

On Dodge Cummins Diesel I using after market studs, and will the special molly lube they recome 90% torque value no 100%. but I have 60 pound of boost plus available. Any turbo charge a packard eight, or super charge one. I think it be fun. I looking for 56 studibaker packard turbo for playing on day.