carb.-dodge brothers

Guest ron hobbs

Guest ron hobbs

:rolleyes:I have a dodge brothers carberator, year unknown.IT has the following no.PAT. 11-28-11, below that no. is 4-22-18 and 1-29-17,made by detroit lubricator co., series A-28850,body is made of bronze and cast iron.does anyone know the year and possibly the value ? thanks,ron

Question for Carbking....My '32 DK8 uses a stromberg DXR-3 carburetor and they seem to be RARE as well as rebuild kits also rare. If this carb goes south, what do you think would be an easy replacement carb that I could use and still find kits and parts for. At a glance a lot of the 1 barrel MOPAR carbs look alike and I'm sure they aren't.

Larry

Not saying I have any answers but rather your question is a great one and I'd be very curious to know the answer to this as well. I realize this is not directed towards anyone but Carbking but I would love to know if he thinks the info below is of any value.

According to this: MAG-INDEX as you scroll down under "Carburetor" there should be an article called " You can adapt Strombergs to any car" according to this publication Volumes 2-4 pages 5-14. Does anyone have access to these articles of publication ?

Forgive me if I'm out of line in any way but I just find this very intriguing and would like to know more about these Strombergs as well.

Question for Carbking....My '32 DK8 uses a stromberg DXR-3 carburetor and they seem to be RARE as well as rebuild kits also rare. If this carb goes south, what do you think would be an easy replacement carb that I could use and still find kits and parts for. At a glance a lot of the 1 barrel MOPAR carbs look alike and I'm sure they aren't.

Larry

Larry - the "D" series was Stromberg's first attempt at a downdraft carburetor.

If the car is a "show" vehicle, and you wish to retain the DXR-3, rebuilding kits are readily available, as are rebuilding kits for virtually ALL USA-produced carburetors. :D

Having said the above; even Stromberg was aware the "D" series was awful (yes, I know, they were used on some pretty high-dollar prestige vehicles - they were still awful). Basically, Stromberg applied "updraft" technology to a downdraft design. When Stromberg came out with the "E" series (1932) they started issuing aftermarket replacement units for every vehicle that used the D series carbs. The vehicle manufacturers picked up some of these models, and used them as factory replacements.

Unfortunately, some of the E series carbs, particularly the size 3 (as in DXR-3) E series (E-3, EX-32, EXV-3) can be expensive to purchase today.

The E series are very good carbs. However, they were replaced about 1939 with the "B" series. The B series carbs are excellent carbs, and since they are newer and there are more of them, they are less expensive that the E series.

When a customer calls with the question you asked; we try to determine the desires of the customer as follows:

(A) original only

(B) factory replacement (if one were offered)

© aftermarket replacement from the same era

(D) best aftermarket replacement available

If aftermarket is desired (C or D), then research is REQUIRED to determine, not just by model, but by internal venturi size, etc., what would be the best unit for the customer in his/her requirement.

If original or factory replacement is required, the only research would be to determine the original unit or the factory replacement unit; the factory did all the other research.

Since I answer all emails and questions on this and other forums from my home computer, I do not have my research library available except by telephone during normal working hours. If you wish more specific information, please call.

And 30Chrysler, I don't have the article you mention; but I do have ALL of the existing Stromberg factory material (including the original blueprints). How well a carburetor adapts is directly proportional to the research done by the individual doing the adapting.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)