seatbelts for 52 Super 2 door

John Bloom

Fellow Buick enthusiasts......my first post here although I've lurked for years. I bought a 52 Super and would like to have some seat belts to use when I have my family onboard to go cruising. I'm not sure what year seat belts were first offered as an option, but I want something that looks appropriate and I also would be interested in how they could/should be mounted. If any of you could send me what setup you might have in a comparable early/mid 50's Buick or GM product I'd very much appreciate any help making a decision. Thanks.

John

Welcome aboard John. There are numerous sources on the web if you search "auto lap belts". I have purchased from Juliano's Hot Rod Parts & Interior Products - Custom Car & Street Rod Accessories before, but the last time I bought belts I bought them from Amazon for $20 a pair (any color you want). Make sure you get 70" or longer. The 60" belts many vendors sell are for VW's and other small cars. The thing I like about Julianos is their mounting kit seems safer than just a big washer / bolt combo.

Also, the last three cars I installed them in, I had my eight year old son assist with getting the belt through the bottom of the seat.

WARNING: Four door cars that the seat doesn't pull forward sometimes need to have fabric cut.

I have installed belts in six cars. The easiest was in my 63 Wildcat because there were already holes with nuts welded for factory belts. The hardest was on a 60 Electra 4 dr. hdtp. I did for a friend. That is the one I had to cut the back of the seat fabric for. All of them have gone through the floor. I cut a slit in the carpet then drill a small pilot hole in the floor. Then peel the carpet back and drill the bigger hole. Remember, if the drill bit catches the carpet, it will unravel. Then you need a spare set of hands (or a well placed vice grip) to attach the inboard screws. For the two door Riviera, it is very simple to thread the belt between the seat back and seat bottom. Make sure you leave enough room for your waistline (side to side). Lastly, I always install the male end to the outside.

Hi John, Here is another option for seat belts: http://http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/ll60.html

For my 56 Super I bought the longer ones for the front seat and the shorter ones for the rear seat. For the front seat I ran the buckle side of the belt up over the seat bottom between the upper seat halves, and the male end on the outside. I did bolt them through the floor using the hardware provided. They are very reasonably priced and have plain chrome buckles.