1957 buick special lubrication

buicknewbee

As I stated in my introduction I am the new owner of a 1957 special with dynaflow trans. I would like to know what transmission oil has been used by all for the dynaflow transmission. I know todays oils are much different than what was used 55 years ago and I probably should service it and fill with new.

Also while I'm at it the service manual doesn't go into much detail about the differential oil. Gear lubes have changed over the years and more than likely the factory oil is still in the differential. I read where there is no drain to change out the lube!!! Is this acceptable to just add to it? I was totally blown away when I seen the rear end and drive shaft as one unit! Are there any known problems with this set-up?

I use and have been using the GM Dexron II transmission fluid. I have had my dynaflow rebuilt and that fluid has worked well for me. It is also the fluid that I use in the powersteering pump. As for the rear end, I haven't got to that part yet, but I will soon. I think some of the guys on the forum can better answer that question regarding the differential oil.

Yes, you are right. It is a sealed drivetrain, called a torque tube. Purely Buick in engineering, and associated with a multitude of seals and leak paths. But it does provide for a quiet driv and less vibration than an open drive shaft system.

I use any Dextron I can get at discount retailers for my 56. What you may not know is these tranny's have a tendancy to leak when not used for extended periods of time. Most often it seems to come from the rear seal of the transmission ( the Torque ball seal). Very often using the car causes the seal to swell up and work again. For instance after a winter's nap I used to find the tranny 2 quarts low. Fill it in the spring and use the car for 5-10 miles once per week and I never have to put fluid in all driving season. But I had the torque ball seal done and now it only leaks a little each winter.

I would recommend one of the first things to buy is a large drain pan that you can put under the car for when it is resting so as to avoid an oil spill on your garage floor.

I'll leave the rear axle maintainence to the 57 guys just mentioning that the 56's rear axle is similar to yours. Supposedly you can pull out the lowest bolt holding the differential carrier into the rear axle and the fluid will drain from there on the 56. I do not know for a fact it is like that for 57. However I would not even consider draining and replacing the rear end fluid unless I was restoring the vehicle and pulling the differential out of the axle in the process. With all due respect, I'm a firm believer in don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Guest Rob McDonald

HEY, BEE NEW BEE, thanks for adding to the '57 Factor here. I love the look of your car in the album that you set up - http://forums.aaca.org/members/buicknewbee/albums/buicknewbee/ Cragar SS wheels are totally appropriate and the tuck 'n roll interior brings that great colour scheme right inside.

Old Buicks have some special maintenance challenges because they tried engineering solutions that were different from other carmakers. Eventually, all of Detroit standardized around what was seen as the Perfect Car. Body-on-frame, V8 engine, Hydramatic-type transmission, rear wheel live axle drive, coil springs front, leaf springs rear: pretty much the '57 Chev, except longer, lower, and wider. I love to drive cars of the mid-sixties but they were so much more interesting in the 'Fifties.

I'm glad this car hooked a young couple like you. You are what this great hobby really needs, far more than the next 400-point cheque-book restoration.

WOW! What a nice ride! That car is awesome, especially the color combination. Welcome to the Model 48 club where nothing fits between your car and any other special.

I second what Rob says regarding your enthusiasm and reaching out to to forum. You are what this hobby needs. I am looking forward to trading war stories about our cars with you soon. Love the color scheme and all the mild customization. Looks great!

Definitely a sweet car. Take good care of those rear bumper ends. Don't let exhaust smoke stay on them long. Ones that nice are near impossible to find!

The whole family will enjoy that car. BTW, I believe the BCA national meet will be in Illinois in 2013. Just around the corner from you.

Thanks for the good comments! We think she is pretty cool too! The pictures make her look really good, but she needs a good paint job in time. I would say shes a 15 footer.

The tourqe ball and all looks intimidating. I think I'll just check the fluid and leave it alone. What is everyone using to top of the rear dierential?

Thanks

Guest ozzytom

Welcome to the Buick fraternity and may I say what an excellent choice in getting a 2 door '57

Yes they are different. But that's what makes them appealing.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car immensely. It looks fantastic.

regards

tom

(from downunder Australia)

Guest shadetree77
What is everyone using to top off the rear differential?

I did a lot of research on this question a few months back and from what I can gather you use 80W-90W gear oil readily available at any parts store. That is what I re-filled my '52 differential with. Of course, I had to drain all the transmission fluid out of it from where the torque tube seal was leaking down through the torque tube. My differential was completely full of trans. fluid which, from what I gather, is a common issue with a Dynaflow. If your diff. fluid is pinkish/red you probably need to drain it and re-fill it with gear oil. Trans. fluid contamination can cause serious damage to the gears in a rear end. This is such a common problem that I have read that some people drill a 1/4" hole in the torque tube somewhere close to the the rear end, tap it, and put a 1/4" drain plug in it so that they can drain the leaking trans. fluid out occasionally. This only postpones the replacement of the propeller shaft spline seal though. Oh, and nice car! Welcome to the Buick community. I too am relatively new to this forum and the guys on here have been nothing but friendly and helpful. I would be lost without all the help I have received on this forum.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

WOW! Tom, Great looking car! Those wire wheels really set it off with the wide white walls.

To the fellow that replied below you, That's something good to know. I wouldn't think Trans fluid isn't good with rear end, and I wouldn't know that if not for this forum. That is I didn't know the trans could leak down into the tube! It sure is different from anything else I'm accustomed to. I know there are some that don't fix till its broke, but fluid is cheap compared to a rear end rebuild. I wondered if it was possible to tap and plug the tube so it could be drained. Is the rear end designed so that the gear lube can move throughout the whole tube and axels, or is the lube seperated between the rear and driveshaft? Anyone?