Starter/Generator Problem?

72caddy

When I went to go a revive my 1919 Touring after a long very hot summer, I found that my battery tender connections to my battery were completely corroded. The positive lead was not connected.

So I clean that up, charge the battery and found that the old girl just won't turn-over. It tried to turn at first but the fan blade probably only moved about 15 degrees before ...nothing.

I can hear a slight humming sound when I push the starter button, so it seems like it is trying to turn.

I can hand crank the engine over, so the engine is 'free'.

Battery charger thinks the battery is fully charged.

If I tun on the lights, they go completely out when I hit the starter button - like the battery is to low.

If I put an ohmmeter on the battery it show 12.6. When I put the meter on the starter/generator posts and hit the starter button, the meter only goes to 0.6 at best.

My starter button connections are tight...as are the ground to the GA starter. Fuse is good.

What are the experts opionion...

It always started after long stays in the garage before...I will try cranking by hand, but I would still like to solve this.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Richard,

When you say you have 0.6 volts at the Starter/Generator, is this while the unit is trying to crank the engine or are you just checking at the cable with it dis-connected from the Starter Generator?

Next step, do a voltage drop test on both the positive and ground side of the battery to the starter generator.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'll do my best to help.

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

www.aerrebuild.com

Yes, the 0.6 was while the starter button was pushed. It registered 0.0 otherwise.

For some reason I talked myself out of swapping batterys. I guess I was trying to make it harder than it needed to be. I will get a new battery tomorrow and see what happens.

When was the last time you oiled the bearing on the rear of the starter/generator? I used to have a similar problem (occurred in the winter). When I pushed the starter, you could hear it was trying to crank. Oiling the bearing solved this problem (actually I added a little grease also).

Edited by FMF (see edit history)