polishing points

tcslr

When cleaning up ignition points the emphasis should be more on getting a nice flat surface on both contact surfaces rather than "polishing" the surfaces; a good clean electrical break as the contacts open enhances the sparking properties.

To that end a small flat file is best, although a little awkward to use in situ, emery cloth is good, I would shy away from scotch pads as they are likely to leave small fibres in place.

Any good tool shop should have "points files" over the counter.

Guest noncompos

I saw somewhere (but can't find in manuals at hand) that one should file and polish in the direction the points "wipe" as they open and close...you should make sure you've got both contacts smooth before setting, as snags or high spots will throw gap off...

Of course, that's the ideal...I usually ran mine until they began to stick shut at low speed (going around corners) whereupon I'd jump out with my wife's (or appropriate persons') fingernail file, pop off the cap, give 'em a couple swipes, and go on...

When reviving an old motor that has been out of commission for years it is often necessary to clean the points. A points file works well for this. If you do not have one, a strip of 600 wet or dry sandpaper folded double works well. Follow up with a shot of electrical contact cleaner or brake kleen spray and drag a strip of white paper between them until it comes out clean.

This is for ignition points which are made of hard tungsten. Some points are made of soft material like silver, used in Chrysler transmission controls. On those you have to be more careful, use the cleaner spray wipe and the white paper.

For switches etc just the contact cleaner usually works. If you can get the switch apart and get at the points a gentle wipe with 600 paper may be appropriate. These switches usually have copper contacts which are also softer than ignition points.

The contact cleaner or brake kleen spray is usually safe. WD40 will work too in many cases.

• 2 weeks later...

A shop manual for your car will detail the in and outs of point cleaning - generally for the cars with a generator and regulator - that info would apply to most all hard metal points - not the copper or silver points. Most recommend a rife spoon file.

Ron

Guest Al Brass

Modern replacement points should not be filed or faced because they have a tungsten coating. If you file that away, they will not last well at all.

Al