1949 Chrysler Windsor Engine Swap

Guest wbonebrake

Guest wbonebrake

Hello! I have a 1949 Chrysler Windsor with the original flathead 6 and fluid drive transmission. Unfortunately, the engine is toasted, and even with the head off, I cannot get it to turn over. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to mount up a later model v8 to the original transmission. Even some ideas as to what to do in order to get the original engine turned over would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

These engines can get stuck in the valve department.

The good news is they are relatively easy and economical to rebuild, or you could get another donor engine, either a 251 or a 265.

The fluid drive and M6 trans would require some kind of adaptor plate or serious mod to allow a modern V8 to bolt up.

You would be better off with the modern engine and it's trans, but if it were my car, I would either rebuild or find another flat head 6, they are very good reliable engines, and handle modern traffic quite well. These engines are very peppy, when rebuilt, not neck snapping, but peppy enough...

Soke cylinders with some penetrating oil, open valve chambers to check for stuck valves, check this first, you could always pull timing cover, and chain, and/or drop oil pan, pull pistons. You should be dropping the oil pan, and open side covers to clean out and check for sludge...

Guest wbonebrake

Sounds good! I think I'll have to try that this weekend! I want to keep it original, but the rebuild kits I have found were around $1500. If I can get it to turn over the way it is however, I should be able to get it to run. I've also been thinking about doing a partial rebuild, with just rods, rod bearings, pistons, and rings, and a good hone job on the cylinders.

Sounds good! I think I'll have to try that this weekend! I want to keep it original, but the rebuild kits I have found were around $1500. If I can get it to turn over the way it is however, I should be able to get it to run. I've also been thinking about doing a partial rebuild, with just rods, rod bearings, pistons, and rings, and a good hone job on the cylinders.

It tis possible to do a parital rebuild in the car.

Rings, hone cyls, do valves.

I would suggest taking off the water pump, pull water distribution tube behind water pump that goes into the block, and pull side freeze plugs, then flush reaal good and rod out all rusty crud you will find in there.

If the rad is good, meaning it has good flow, take it in to be boiled out, or flush it clean at home.

The cooling systems are good on these cars, as long as they are clean, check and replace t/stat too, if necessary.

Or better yet , pull engine, do everything then reinstall, check this video out of me driving my 47 Chrysler with flathead 6 cylinder , which is a 218 long block Canadian engine. Good luck

here is my car driving on You Tube

Here isa link for another old Mopar Forum, which is very active www.P15-D24.com

Edited by fred (see edit history)

There is no later engine that will fit the transmission. If you do want to swap out the engine you have to change the engine, transmission, and rear axle. Yes the rear axle because the handbrake is on your transmission, if you do not put in the newer axle you have no handbrake, besides the gear ratio is better.

It is easier and cheaper to rebuild the original engine. I know you can buy a junkyard engine for under $1500 but don't forget you still need motor mounts, all new exhaust system, driveshaft, etc etc in addition to engine, trans and rear axle.

If that is too much, or not what you want to hear, suggest you stop and rethink the whole deal.

It may be better to quit while you are ahead, sell the car right now and buy a better one. A newer car that comes with a V8, automatic, nicer looks, etc.