ATTENTION: Turbo Riv owners

sosuzguy

After having to get my engine rebuilt I got this good info from John at Caspers Electronics (GN Guys). I knew this additive was needed with some of the older cars but had no idea mine needed it. FYI I did have a cam lobe that was perfectly round!

Cams going soft: YOU MUST USE the zinc additive with oil changes on these engines...ZDDPlus is the one I use. The oil manufacturers have removed zinc from the oil for several years, and it's necessary for flat tappet cams, otherwise, well, you saw what happened. Time to hot-tank the engine and replace all the cam bearings...

Guest wildcat465
Will this additive have any detrimental effects on the catalytic converter?

Tom Mooney

Really shouldn't Tom. There has been a zinc package in oils from before cats were installed on cars until just a couple years ago. Although, I have found SF oil on various shelves recently.

I have been adding HyPer Lube brand additive, you guys know where I get it.

Some of the Mobil 1 full synthetics have anywhere from 900 - 1300 ppm of zinc and phosphorous and they're being tauted my Mobil 1 for new cars. I'm sure they would have to be compatible with the catalytic converter, but perhaps only time will tell. I copied and pasted a chart from ExxonMobil to the RivList which shows each Mobil 1 product and its zinc and phosphorous contents.

Ed