Value of picnic set???

Been a lot of years since I've made Hershey to check out the prices in the fine art tents, so I'll try this:

Here is an early Wicker Picnic set for 6 with all the accoutrements you could think of. It was sold thru Brooks Brothers in NYC and is marked on the inside as such along with a made in England label. All of the tableware and the tea pot is marked G.W.S.& S. and the knives also have "Sheffield Steel". The can opener is only marked ""Clipper" Best Sheffield Steel" but fits the leather too well to be a replacement and the alcohol stove & fuel container are unmarked. The glasses are graduated to fit into each other in two sets of 3 with the salt & pepper container in the center - all have rattan covering. The salt & pepper are not shakers - there are two small spoons in the case for the purpose. There are two stoneware containers marked "Butter" and "Preserves" with leather straps to hold the covers in place (one cover is chipped), and 3 covered enamel sandwich containers along with the plates, saucers, and cups - I have two other sets in the attic that I plan on playing musical chairs with the cups so that this one has a matching set of 6. The entire case has a slide bolt with a small padlock to hold it shut (with key), and a belt as well which may be more to hold it onto a running board than closed.

Does anyone know what these would be selling for these days?

Thanks,

Mark

post-31809-143138658006_thumb.jpg

post-31809-143138658009_thumb.jpg

post-31809-143138658011_thumb.jpg

Thats a pretty nice set. I've seen prices all over the place. Nice accessory item to display with a car of the same vintage. I think Brooks is a quality item. I've not followed these closely but wouldn't be surprised to see a nice one like this bring upwards of $500 plus. They appear often at automobilia auctions. I've got a couple of smaller sets for four, one neat one in a leather covering. The front drops down as you can see in the pic. It's English so I added the cute roadmap for effect.

Terry

post-30751-143138660861_thumb.jpg

Thanks Terry - the last of these I'd seen were at the large fine arts tent in the Chocolate field - Shalenbaum's?? Or one of those dealers. His prices stuck me as steep back then and were in the $1000 range for similar sets. So far I've been told anywhere from $200 to $1500 - all over the map just like you said. I might try e-bay sometime after Hershey but before Christmas although I hate using that site. I seem to have 4 sets now - 2 wicker - the other is a set for 2, one 6-person hard suitcase style, and one 6-person running board set. They look good on display and tour if you dress appropriately, but... Thanks again, Mark

• 5 months later...