Dirt in the radiator?

Graham Man

I have a 1933 8 cylinder I was bringing back from the dead. Power washed out the block (with water plate off) cooked the radiator, rebuilt the water pump cleaned out the head (aluminum). That was two years ago 500 miles maybe. I pulled the upper radiator hose to check a small water leak and discovered the inside of the hose covered with what I think is dirt/rust? It wipes right off but it is 1/16 inch thick. I was using water with water pump lubricant added. Would like to clean it out any suggestions?

Guest rsd9699

I would expect most water pump lubricants to be soluble oil. The oil clings to everything every place - hoses - radiators - blocks and heads and collects all the trash in the system.

Water dissolves aluminum.

Clean it out good and use good antifreeze with the proper corrosion inhibitors in it.

Ron

I had a leak in the head gasket and did not want to risk losing the engine with antifreeze. My plan is to put in good antifreeze after I replace the gasket. The comment about the soluble oil makes sense. You would think if you could use a detergent it would loosen up the paste and you could flush it out but if I remember correctly soap is not a good thing in the system?

I was hoping someone has successfully flushed a system? I remember kits being available but I did not see any at the auto parts store, hoping for a home system.

Whatever you do whilst clearing out the muck, put a filter in the upper radiator hose to catch the inevitable loose crud floating around the cooling system, otherwise you will just finished up with a clogged radiator. Even a leg from her nylon stockings will do the trick.

Guest rsd9699

That is a tuff call.

I would flush - use antifreeze with a sealer rather than having the aluminum slowly dissovled away.

I do not think I would use oxalic acid with an aluminum head. All cast iron - yes but not the combo.

Soap will likely dry the water pump seal.

Filtering has its pros and cons depending on the distance you want to travel - could plug up away from home.

Ron

I picked up one of the culagan type filters it is about 12 inches tall, 5 micron, $15 total cost. It comes with 3/4 inch NPT threads, picked two adapters to 5/8 hose. The plan is to hang it from the radiator support bar temporally and connect it to the heater hose. I am not worried about the cartridge taking the heat but the nylon polyester fibers of the filter are what worries me. Everything says it should be good to 300F easy. The best part is if the filter plugs up I can still get home, and the filters are only $2 each. When the hose is only warm it is time for a new filter.