65 Cadillac Deville

Guest NYjetfan

Guest NYjetfan

I'm trying to get the 1/4 window manual turn knob off the door panel, cant find how in shop manual, can anybody help me, car is older than me and I inherited it from my grandfather

Typical GM handles for years were held on with a wire clip. You can remove the clip with a rag. Take a piece of rag and slide it under the handle from the knob side. A little pull and the clip should come out. Then the handle will pull off.

You can also buy a special tool for pushing out the clip. Auto parts stores have them, looks like a putty knife with a notch in it.

To replace the handle just snap the clip back in place and push the handle on.

Guest NYjetfan

Thanks for the info, can I use a hook style pick to remove clip, not much room to squeeze a rag between handle and trim panel

Typical GM handles for years were held on with a wire clip. You can remove the clip with a rag. Take a piece of rag and slide it under the handle from the knob side. A little pull and the clip should come out. Then the handle will pull off.

You can also buy a special tool for pushing out the clip. Auto parts stores have them, looks like a putty knife with a notch in it.

To replace the handle just snap the clip back in place and push the handle on.

Thanks very much for that, Rusty....I never heard of the rag trick.

I'm trying to get the 1/4 window manual turn knob off the door panel, cant find how in shop manual, can anybody help me, car is older than me and I inherited it from my grandfather

Just to add to the good info already posted, you need the body manual too, not just the shop manual. These are available in as pdfs on ebay (DVD) too. Have a 66 here, but same as 65. Section "8-30" in the 66 body manual has the detailed info.

post-76082-143138639381_thumb.jpg

Guest rsd9699

If you get the tool, there are two sizes of wire clips that govmo used. I got one at oreally that was for the larger clips. The old red rag works really good as long as there is not corrosion involved.

Ron