Rear frame Removal

charlie1

The rear frame near the top bushing has rusted to the point that it has to be repaired on my 1989 Riviera. My Tech has lined up all the parts and we have a body shop lined up to repair the frame by sand blasting and welding new metal into the weak spots. The costs for the Body shop to do the work is $450.00 plus the labor and parts.

Has anyone had any experience doing this work?

Think Greg Ross had the whole rear cradle replaced a few years ago. Down here, if I see rust, I run, do not walk. Have gotten used to unbolting exhaust manifolds and pipes without anything breaking. As Gary says "Life is too short to deal with rust".

My experience is that rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10% of what is there. I suspect the job may get bigger after blasting. Did you ask about that ?

BTW for 87-97 Rivieras the asking price on the local CL seems to be $1500-$3000 with a few outliers. High end is mostly supercharged. Is there a reason you want to deal with that much surgery ?

If anyone can provide a link to tips for the rear frame removal I would appreciate it. Unfortunately I have no choice. Not ready to take it to the Bone yard yet!

I purchased a 1999 Riviera that was a Florida car and the entire under side looks brand new. Now I will most likely be dumping as least $2 to 3 K into the 89 Riviera since we are replacing the entire exhaust system at the same time.

Edited by CHAS1 (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk
Truly rust free? Worth its weight in gold.

I've repaired/restored many a rust bucket, and there's NOTHING like finding a rust free car that you like and keeping it. You never eliminate rust, just chase it.

I agree 100% with Harry. I have noticed that the majority of people with "electrical gremlins" are predominantly from the rust belt. I suspect that corrosion compromises electrical components and wiring too.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it is done!

They removed rear frame assembly and sent it to the body shop where it was completely sand blasted and the rust around the upper bushing area was repaired. A complete exhaust system was replaced with a Walker after market exhaust 100% including all hangers and clamps.

Rusted brake lines were replaced.

The parts list is extensive .

Bottom line

$3551.68

Once again it is a 1989 Riviera

Rides smoother!

AMEN

Edited by CHAS1 (see edit history)

Same old story being repeated time after time. It would have been cheaper to go south and buy a rust free complete car. It always seems the actual cost is much greater than the estimate.

If you have done the exhaust, rear suspension and brake lines, save your $$ because the front cradle will be going soon.