Choke Cable Q, for 25

MikeC5

Anyone have a properly operating choke (mixture enrichment) cable? My car didn't come with one and I tried installing a generic choke cable. The problem is it has no way to lock in place. The spring on the carb just pulls it back. Maybe the cable needs some rust to work properly?

The correct cable has a knob with a series of concentric grooves on the shank. A sprung ball engages in these grooves to hold the mixture needle in the desired position.

Mike, I think you need the cable retaining assembly which bolts up behind the dash. Surely they cannot be too hard to find - someone out there must have one. Can anyone help?

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, I did manage to get a cable so now I'm only missing the spring and ball. I found a ball bearing that fits but am having trouble coming up with a suitable spring. Anyone perchance have a photo and/or dimensions, wire thickness of said spring?

Mike, you may have to try a few springs to test the choke rod to see if it holds well. From memory, I think the spring is about 1/2 inch long and light to medium thickness. The choke rod should move smoothly though the tube but stay in the desired position you require. Marv

• 5 months later...

I hooked it up tonight and am having some problems. The cable really doesn't seem to have enough leverage to pull up the mixture needle lever arm. And I need to come up with a better clamp to hold outer cable to the carb. How smoothly does you choke work? Maybe I need to try and grease up the cable too. It seems like my mixture needle spring is too stiff.

Solid wire Tony. I'm going to disassemble the main jet/enrichment control and see if the spring in there is properly seated. The lever seems to hard to turn. I also have to come up with a good way to clamp the cable casing at the carburetor. If anyone could snap a picture of what it's supposed to look like I'd be most appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest john69

The original cable bracket angles toward the carburator lever from the front, a little less distance than the bracket with clamp that you made, actually about 7/16"; the clamp may put too much pressure on the cable, making it difficult to move. the original clamp bracket is made of sheet metal about 1/2" wide; it encircles the cable, being doubled over, and has an offset to the front, where it is clamped to the carburator bowl by a screw. It projects from the carb. bowl 1". I have taken a picture of it and will post it later today, hopefully.

Edited by john69
mistakes in text. (see edit history)

Hi John, I was careful tightening up the u-bolt so it does work O.K. I also made an effort to grease the wire. A close up photo would be great. I tried to make a sheet metal bracket but couldn't get the diameter right (and hard to bend the tight radius without the right tools).