Q-jet inlet gasket...

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Just a relatively quick question... Are there any alternatives to the factory inlet gasket on a q-jet?

That nylon ring really has to get torqued down on to stop fuel from leaking, and i'm always afraid i'll strip the delicate threads in the aluminum casting. I tried putting an o-ring in there and fuel sprayed all over the place o.o

I realize the answer to this is probably no. If there were something better, they would have put it in in the 50 year lifespan of quadrajets, but I wanted to check before ordering a new gasket.

Thanks.

It may be a simple question, but you gave insufficient information to allow a complete answer.

It depends on the identification number of the Q-Jet; there are several different ones!

Fiber, nylon, rubberized aluminum, and maybe other materials were used.

Jon.

It may be a simple question, but you gave insufficient information to allow a complete answer.

It depends on the identification number of the Q-Jet; there are several different ones!

Fiber, nylon, rubberized aluminum, and maybe other materials were used.

Jon.

That's very true, several types of seals were used but I rebuilt many Q-jets in the day and never had one leak there. There is only about 5 psi. give or take so almost anything will seal it. It sounds like you have a crack in the threaded portion of the cover or the nut or the flared part of the fuel line otherwise the O-ring should have worked.

impala

You should not have to use a lot of torque to secure the filter nut. Inspect the sealing surface in the float bowl for nicks or burrs. Also be sure that it is not cross threaded causing the nut to be on an angle, not allowing the seal to properly seat. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Twilight Fenrir

Ookay, I got it figured out... sorry for the long wait between replies, but I've been real busy.

Anywho, the inlet is fine, I figured out the problem. It's the aluminum plug that was melted into the end of the inlet-elbow-thing... It was leaking from behind it. I drilled it out, and stuck a piece of rubber tube, with a much larger than the ID bolt, and it's now fuel-tight.

I'll tap threads into this area, and stick a small chunk of threaded rod coated with JB weld in the next day or two...