1927 DB Rear springs...

Guest M R Simpers

Guest M R Simpers

I have pulled the rear right leaf spring off my '27 DB (116" WB). I did this without a spring spreader just because I couldn't find one. The car was on jack stands. I then jacked up the rear right end of the chassis in an attempt to relieve the load on the spring; however, when the rear shackle was taken off the spring "slammed" up against the frame. No persons or animals were killed during this effort.

The leaf spring is fully off - cleaned, painted, etc. As for the refurbished spring, the center to center distance of the spring shackled ends is about 52" where the loaded left spring measures about 55".

I did this removal to get full access to the sheet metal drum backing plate which was heavily bent and distorted. Every thing is now straightened and about ready to paint.

What is the easiest way to get this spring back on the car? A Model "A" Ford rear leaf spring spreader doesn't stretch to over about 50".

If I attach the spring to the axle (pillow block assembly, plate, and "U" bolts), can I get the front end of the spring "swung" into its single shackle bolt?

Then if that works, is there enough swing in the rear vertical shackle arms to make up the 3" of spring arch?

OK, DB'ers, what do I do?

If anyone has a spring spreader that will work on this car, is it for rent.

M.R.

Bolt up the front eyelet, stick a block of wood various lenghths ( till you get it right ) in between the center of spring and frame that is above it, chain down the rear and use a jack and an another appropriately sized block of wood ot the back eyelet and jack up into place. Or you could just use a come-along and pull the spring together till you get the right arch.

More than one way

You are talking about two entirely different animals. The Model A uses a single transverse leaf spring. This type of spring is best unloaded using a spring spreader. The DB uses two semi-elliptical springs and can be unloaded simply by letting the axle hang down as you jack the body upward. No doubt, your jack stand prevented the axle from completely relaxing the leaf spring. No spring spreader is needed here. You are very fortunate you or your assistant were not seriously hurt when the leaf spring unloaded. For reassembly, attach the front eye of the spring to the vehicle, then raise the differential with the springs attached. You could support the differential and lower the body, as well. The rear shackles should eventually align such that you can insert the shackle bolt. Of course this all assumes that no one has changed the suspension using non-stock springs or dog-bones.

Most often the eyelets wont line up like you described Joe because the springs have a tendancy to spring outward making them slightly longer thats why you usually have to draw them in a little using one of the methods I decribed above or one of many other ways I am sure.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

No spring spreader needed on parallel leaf cars. Just jack up BOTH sides of the car so there is no twist in the chassis. As Joe said, they are not like the cross leaf Fords which has the spring under load at all times.