Sidemount Cover Installation

50jetback

My 1936 Century has sidemount spares.

The covers are different from those on my 34 ( difficult enough to fit!! ) and consist of 3 pieces each - a front panel, rear 2 piece panel and a top band.

How do you assemble these parts over the spare tyre without damaging paint?

The top band has to spring apart to slide over the spare and then the back and front panels are held in place by it - my problem is you seem to need more hands and arms than the good Lord gave me to get it all together,

Anyone experienced on fitting these covers who can tell me the best way to do it??

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart:

Ain't easy! Does your front cover have a small hole in the bottom center? My 39 Roadmaster covers do and there's supposed to be a small rubber bumper there. It measures about 3/4 inch in diameter and around 1/2 inch high and holds the outside cover in place for doing the rest.

The back cover is rivited together at one place to form a "hinge" and the ends have a rubber cover about 3/4 wide by 4 inches long by 3/8 inch thick with a center split so that they can be glued in place.

Put the tire in place about 1/2 inflated, adjust the support knob to hold the tire up and tighten the center retainer up. Put the front cover on next with the little bumper pushing against the fender edge. Pull out on the tire and slip the rear cover in place, held there by the little strips against the inside edge of the fender well. Slip the outside cover into position without scratching. Finish inflating tire.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I have 36 Special with dual sidemounts and not to point of installing. Still doing some painting. But I did not find any springs which I associated with my sidemounts. They have the piece which attaches to bottom of fender with threaded bolt which goes thru tire to secure.

My sidemount covers consist of three pieces--the cover itself which hinges at top, the outside and inside cover. No springs that I know of.

If anyone has photo of spring and how it attaches I would appreciate being posted.

It is amazing of little I know and how much more I need to know to get this back together correctly.

Thanks

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Mark:

No, you don't have to deflate the tire any. However, you will find it's SOLIDLY in there! The important things are the 3 rubber pieces, which are always missing.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks Dave, that all makes sense,

I don't have the rubber sidemount bumpers on yet as I am just doing the body fit up before painting. I bought some new ones from Bob's but didn't realise how important they were or where they really went for that matter.

The tyre half inflated is important and something I would never have thought of - what's the point of a half inflated spare, BUT the front cover has that hole to line the valve stem up with so you can inflate with the covers all in place.

So I'll give that all a try and with two hands and my tongue in the right place I might get it perfected before the paint goes on.

Thanks guys.