25 Top Iron Measurements

MikeC5

Mike,

This is what I came up with using my top as a pattern. They are the original top

irons for my car. However they are from a '24 not a '25 touring. Don't know if things changed between the years. I would suspect they are the same. Hope it helps.

GG

post-42543-143138617747_thumb.jpg

GG, thank you so much. I'm glad you added that one member as I did suspect I might be missing something there (I didn't have any good photos showing that area). Even is is slightly different from 25, at least I know the basic shape and I'll bet there are only minor dimensional changes, if any. Were yours in good original shape? I looked at some yesterday that were in several pieces but were for pre-1920 car. The tapered tubes appear to be of quite thin gauge from new.

I found a non-DB club member who took the time to take a bunch of photos and measurements (I would still like more than one sample). Attached are the results in a cleaned up and more/less to scale drawing. The numbers look pretty much the same as GG's numbers from his 24.

post-74074-143138620016_thumb.jpg

MikeC5,

I feel your pain as I had a similar issue. I have the metal pieces for my 1919 but the wood bows were broken.

The next set of measurements I think you will need are: the top outside edge of the rear bow above the rear body and if the top sloped forward or backward (rear of the car). The angle of the next to last bow from the rear bow as this dictates height and the angle of the mechanism forward (my car seems to be slightly slanted to the front and you may need to account for some 'stretch' of the top material; your car is probably more refined). Then get the distance for each bow from the end of the top iron to the top tangent of the bow as if your car is like mine, each bow measurement is different but when folded should nicely stack.

I finally figured this out with some trial and error and some help from a couple of people with original tops and studying old photos.