Seized Escutcheons

Guest 31DH

Escutcheons seized onto door handles and window cranks. Anyone have the secret to get these off or a favorite penetrating oil that works good.

The square on the outside door handle is also seized into the door.

Anyone have any good ideas to get these out without doing damage?

Are these on an early car with Ternstadt handles? If they are then penetrating oil will not work; as, the metal in the assemblies (pot metal) has swollen up and locked them up. Sometimes you can break them free; however be careful as the metal has become brittle and prone to breaking. Could you post some pics?

I have used Kroil on mine in the 1928. It worked, but some broke and had to be replaced with stainless steel reproductions. You you attempt it you have to put the handle in a vice with a lot of cloth protection. The goal is to tightly hold, not crush, the base. Then spray the handle and wait a day. Slowly start to move/put pressure on the handle. It should give a bit, work it back and forth, spraying more Kroil as you go. You may then get it free enough to work back and forth to make it useful again. However, it will freeze up again if not used.

Caution, if it is really stuck, you will break it. Let caution be your guide. I broke two trying to do this and was successful on four others. For my Buick, the SS repro handles were about $120 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Still don't have the door handles off yetI found out that the escutcheons are threaded in. Unlike the DA and DH.

This is on the 1928 senior.

I've been putting on penetrating oil, almost used a can of deep Creep and a can of liquid wrench.

Anybody got any ideas what I can use to turn these things out without damaging them.

Glen

post-63263-143138629648_thumb.jpg

Still trying to get thelocking door handle off on the outside. I even drilled a hole from the inside and tried punching out. Is there by any chance a snap ring in side there that needs to be removed first? Fun and games.

Glen

Glen, the handles can be removed with a spanner wrench that fits in the back side of the escutcheons in a slot that runs perpendicular to the axis of the handle. If you look arround the edge of the escutcheon you will find the end of the spanner slot. The escutcheon unscrews from latch or window risor assembly bringing with it the handle. The handle and escutcheon are an assembly. There is no snap ring. You are doing a great job studying the situation before acting.

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)