Took the clearcoat off the wheels-------

Guest HessLakeGuy

Guest HessLakeGuy

so, how should I prepare them for wheel clearcoating.

Or, what kind of wax can you use on the bare aluminum wheels?

They look kinda dull right now. Nice, but dull.

Thanks.

Tom

Guest Dan Gibbs

Hey HLG

That wheel looks great.

Of course this thread now begs the question; what exactly did you have to do to get the clearcoat off and have the wheel(s) look that nice?

Good details on the products and procedures used would be wonderful help for alot of us out here with our road worn Reattas :D

DG

Actually any paint remover will work - of coures the heavy duty aircraft stuff is better, but will still have to use two separate coats to get it all gone. I then use Klasse AIO (as a light polish), and then several coats of the Klasse finish wax or whatever it is called - lasts months.....

Carefully....I used regular masking tape - two layers and carefully used the paint remover. Did not use water to rinse until I removed approximately 99% of the stripper and the old clear with a red shop rag - then rinsed with warm water.

Did you use the stripper on the center caps. If not how did you refinish them?

i had already messed up one center trying to remove it with a heat gun.so i busted the rest of them.this was back when you could still buy new ones.i used the center hole to mount some aftermarket centers.i hated the orange centers.im running caddy wheels now.