1937 Dictator Stainless Grille Trim refinishing

Guest Ziffer

Guest Ziffer

How in the world do you remove the stainless ribs from a 1937 Dictator so the sheetmetal can be painted? Then, how do you get them back on? All without ruining them?

Thanks

Restoration: 1937 Studebaker Dictator 6A Photo Gallery by Nancy Daniels at pbase.com

You might gain some information from this website. It was set up by Jerry Daniels of Platteville, Wisc maybe 4-5 years ago. Jerry has passed away but his wife Nancy keeps the site open. I recall Jerry relating to me how redoing the grille was the most painstaking thing about the restoration.

I had my grill soda blasted and then removed any rust with scotch brite pads. I then used a POR product (Marine Clean I think) which also removes rust residue and scrubbed it again then rinsed.

I left the stainless on the grill and buffed it carefully just by holding the grill and moving it against the buffer wheel. I then used 1/4 green masking tape and carefully applied two pieces on each piece of stainless prior to painting.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I thought about removing my stainless and decided life is just too short and the chances of damaging the stainless is too great.

Good luck!

post-58051-143138607477_thumb.jpg

post-58051-143138607504_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Dictator

I completed a Frame up restoration on a 37 Dictator Model 6A and recall the grill restoration. After disassembling the grill from the cowl I was able to slide the stainlless grill strips from the grill sheetmetal. i recall spraying a bit of SD40 along the strip to make it easier to remove.

I made a template of the grill in cardboard so I was able to place each piece of stainless in the correct order when removing it from the grill. This way I was sure to put the the stainless back as it was originally installed. This made the restoration and painting of the sheet metal much eashier and i did not have to mask off the strips when repainting.

I washed the Grill Sheetmetal and Stainless Strips in alcohol to remove the WD40 so I would not affect the paint when refinishing.

I would try one or two strips to see if you have the same success in removing the stainless trim.

Frank

• 12 years later...
23 minutes ago, 37 dictator kurt said:

Who has the web address of the guy that redid his grille and someone else's and made a wooden bracket to hold all the fins in while he reasembled?

I would think Tom Lewis would be the best source on 37 grille info.  37S2de