How difficult is it to convert a non-power window 65 Riv to power?

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Just bought a fairly solid 65 Riv with no power windows front, or rear. However, I have a parts car 65 that does have power front and rear windows (no power vent, however). How difficult would it be for me to add front and rear power to my non-power car sourcing the parts from my parts car?

Would it be simply a bolt on installation, or is there more involved than meets the eye?

Make sure you don't remove the motor from the regulator without locking the regulator in place. There is a lot of stored energy in that spring. You don't want to let it snap loose in your door or worse yet get hit with it.

I'm doing my Wildcat and I had to take the motor off to get it out of the door.....same going in. It can probably done without disassembling but I was going to take it apart to clean and relubricate anyway.

If the doors are in good shape on your donor car, would it be simpler to swap out the entire door but use the skin off the good car? That way you'd have the switches already installed, etc. Fisher body did something to that door to make power windows fit. It could be anything. You'd have the wiring harness in the right place, plus you wouldn't have to mess with the regulator like was mentioned. That would leave you only with the rear windows. ?????

Ed

Guest Rob J

My parts car is in rough shape, but most, if not all of the parts are there, in relation to the power window parts. I'm not sure I really want to tackle this on the driver 65 I have, as I need to leave my energy for the restoration of the GS, but was pondering the idea. I may do it at some point.

Rob,

I added power windows and vents to my '65 and found it to be fairly intuitive. With your parts car side by side it will be even easier for you. There are dimples in the body wherever you need to drill a hole for a bolt. I didn't know these existed before I started but once I stumbled across the first dimple it was a breeze from there. The doors are easy but the rear quarters are a little tricky getting the regulator in place.

I spent some time looking at the Riv you bought from NC. While I understand the need to conserve energy for the GS, I probably would have bought that car if it had any options at all. I think the time you spend adding the power windows will pay dividends in the future.

Good luck!

Ron