Odometer Computer

Guest Knowltey

Guest Knowltey

A while back the computer that controls the odometer and the PRND321 gear display along with fuel economy info etc got slightly damaged in a way that it doesn't show up 100% of the time. Otherwise it works except for the odometer being stuck at 999,999. If I were to repair said computer down the road, would mileage information be forever lost or is there another non-linked odometer elsewhere that the information could be gathered from?

Guest Redwind89

Questions?

What Model? What Year? if it is 1997-2004 Regal, They were know for the odometer and other dash lights for going out. Once they go, they're done, no way to replace them. As for the second part I think that the miles are also tracked and stored on a chip in the computer so it something happened and you needed to get a new one they could pull the miles and program it in.

That information is stored in the Body computer (BDM) on GM vehicles and there are vendors that can repair the units and restore the mileage. You would probably need to fill out a form that you swear to the mileage.

GM dealers do the same, they send the unit to a GM approved repair shop and tell them the mileage based on the dealers service records.

If you were to find a good working unit in a salvage yard, you would get the mileage from that unit. you could try switching the PROM's but if your PROM is damaged you will be forced to live with the donors mileage or find a vendor to change it.

Guest Knowltey
Questions?

What Model? What Year? if it is 1997-2004 Regal, They were know for the odometer and other dash lights for going out. Once they go, they're done, no way to replace them. As for the second part I think that the miles are also tracked and stored on a chip in the computer so it something happened and you needed to get a new one they could pull the miles and program it in.

Wow, can't believe I forgot that 1998 Park Avenue Ultra.

Guest Knowltey
Questions?

Wow, can't believe I forgot that: 1998 Park Avenue Ultra.

I seem to recall that on some GM vehicles, the mileage was stored in the cluster, rather than the BCM. Later on, it was stored in the BCM. I don't recall the model year or particular model break for that situation. If it was stored in the cluster, then the exchange cluster (from the authorized service facility) would have to be set to the then-current mileage of the vehicle. If it was in the BCM, then it probably would take a dealership diagnostic tool to put the mileage "into" the new BCM.

With all due respect, you probably need to take the car to your local Buick dealer and get them to look at it. It could be something like a chafed/shorted wire, too. That way, they can confirm what will be needed for your vehicle and what the projected costs and downtime would be.

Regards,

NTX5467