My Dad's 1987 Buick Skyhawk

Guest Bebopbarbi

Guest Bebopbarbi

Hi all! My name is Barbara, not Bebopbarbi lol. I was wondering if you all can help me? My Dad is offering me his 1987 Buick Skyhawk that he has owned from day one. 87,000 miles on it. Immaculate interior! Garaged always. Has been taken to mechanic to see why engine makes noise. They couldn't find reason why? Then I asked if engine brakes can they find another engine? Couldn't find one. I have been holding off getting this car because it could be a money pit for me. Also broken air conditioning and living in Inland Empire southern California need air. So I came here to you wonderful Buick experts to see if this car may have a future with me or one of you? Can you help me please?

Barb

Guest Redwind89

as far as I know that car has 1 of 2 engines. 1 is the 2.0L inline 4 and 2 is the 2.0 inline 4 turbo. So maybe if it has the turbo the impeller fan is broke( wishful thinking) Might not be that easy.

What type of unconventional noise does the engine make? Screaching, knocking, or ticking? Besides that, if Dad is offering you the car for a nominal price, I'd be inclined to take it. When running right it will get great MPG, and the Air is fixable in many cases. Worst case scenario is you have to junk it. But I'm sure Dad took better care of it and would not saddle you with a money pit if he thought it was going to be one.

Barbara you came to the right place if like JohnD said you could explain the noise just a little bit better and get a picture of the car on the form there are a lot of people that can give you good advice either to keep it or sell it. I am sure it sounds like a good deal to me.

Frank

have a great day