advise on considering first purchase 65 RIVIERA

V10

Hello all , any advise if this sounds like an okay deal at the buy it now

price or place a bid in higher teens ? I am new to this and looking for a 65' something original and wondering if any of you know anything about this car or any recommendations ? I dont want to spend above 23k in my search or put anything back into the car if can be avoided . The car is listed on Ebay from a dealer 1965 Buick Riviera 401/325HP V81965 RARE ORIG CALIF CAR FULLY LOADED WITH PW-PB-PS-AC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Riviera-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d1Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d1423372323028979922QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ180695761187#v4-39

Any input appreciated . thanks !

Tom

Edited by V10 (see edit history)

Hi Tom,

Appears to be a well kept original car but with substantial miles. I did not read the entire listing but at that mileage I would pay close attention to the engine/trans..so a sight unseen purchase might be undesirable.

The chrome wheels are not original and are in poor condition so count on finding replacements as you go thru the car.

It may just be reflection of the trees in the paint but the paint on the horizontal surfaces (hood, trunk) looks thin to me. You did notice the dents in the rear panel, right? If you find complete paint and bodywork is in order that is a game changer financially.

Did you notice the seam seperating on the upper left driver`s seat cover? Very typical but add a couple hundred bucks to your planned investment.

The steering wheel, or at least the horn bar, has been changed and is not original. Hmmm...

I believe this car is equipped with the dealer installed engine dress-up kit. The air cleaner is definitely original `65 hardware. That`s pretty unusual.

Picking on the car a little...just some observations. I`d love to own the car, as I stated it appears to be a well kept original. From my perspective this car is screeming for a black vinyl top but I realize most would probably not agree. What one is willing to pay is too subjective a question for me to comment on. Good luck if you become the new owner! Cool car.....

Tom Mooney

Not mentioned but noticed is the flip up rear arm rest. I'm also curious about what the seller is saying about the "1965 being the only year with the concealed ribbed 'Clamshell Headlights' and a restyled rear bumper with inserted tail lights and offered for the first time on a Rivera for $91.38," What's with the $91.38. As a dealer, it's doubtful that he knows all the stuff about 1st generation Rivieras; from whom did he get his info? What is the key slot next to the vent pull for? an alarm system?

You'll be money ahead in the long run to pay someone to check it out in person for you. The seller didn't show you what's under the trunk mat nor did he say anything at all about the condition of the floor boards. My $.02.

Ed

Thanks gentlemen for the input , any other / more advice is grealty appreciated . Are those wheels aftermarket since it appears there is no chrome in the center and appears a flat gray. Wonder if that dent can be

popped out ? according the the seller I was informed it can be but again

I am not there to see it since I am not local in the sellers area . I think anything more than 18k or so may be too much or do you think its still a

fair deal around 22k at most if the car is mechanically sound ?

The wheels are from a later model Riviera - 1971 or later. You apparently have the money, but if I were you I'd hold out and learn a lot more about these cars before running out and purchasing one. They're not like your typical Chevelle or Camaro in that there are very, very few reproduction parts available. Unless you have a ton of money to pay a professional for everything, you need to learn what you can about them and see if one of them is still something you want. The engine design was first seen in 1953 and was last seen in 1966. Depending on where you live, finding a mechanic who is familiar with the peculiarities of a "nailhead" could be quite difficult. You need to be familiar enough with the three years - '63, '64, and '65 - that you won't be taken in by sellers advertising parts for "1963 - 1965" Rivieras, and believe me, there are quite a few differences even though the look the same.

Dents that can be popped out usually have been popped out before the car is listed for sale, why sell a car with a dent in it if it's not necessary???

Most Riviera owners will tell you to be patient and find a car that you can personally inspect once you know something about them. So, learn what you can about them. Go back and read through the threads on this forum; join the Riviera Owners Association and familiarize yourself with what's out there, what the going prices are, what's available from the reproduction guys (not much), and who the sources are for OE parts. Check out the ROA website www.rivowners.org and see what might be for sale there that's close to you.

Here's a link that will show you every 1963 - 1965 Riviera that's currently being advertised for sale on Craigslist, Ebay, Kijiji, and in Hemmings. See what else is out there and what the prices are.

buick riviera Site Mash of Craigslist, eBay, & More!++++

BE PATIENT, the worst thing you can do is buy a car with your heart instead of your head. (Don't be taken by love at first sight)

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The seller didn't show you what's under the trunk mat nor did he say anything at all about the condition of the floor boards. My $.02.

He did make a quick mention of this - it was the first thing I looked for since I got blindsided by a rusty trunk with my purchase. IN the second paragraph:

"The floor boards, trunk and all the typical rust-prone areas are completely solid and rust-free and the car has no signs of any accidents..."

Even though he says it's devoid of rust, he doesn't include a pic of the trunk metal. If he knows for certain the trunk is absent of rust, then he must have pulled the trunk mat up so ask him to pull it up again and take a picture of it for you.

I bought a "rust-free" Cali car and it is very devoid of rust - except the trunk is pretty bad as you can see here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/need-new-trunk-methinks-299324.html

There's a "before" pic at the top of the thread and some other pics after grinding out a lot of the rust later in the thread. It's not too bad, but it definitely adds more money into the mix, along with time and tools.

The dents in the rear panel sure make me wonder how it can have no signs of any "accidents", unless it was perhaps done on purpose? Probably not.

It's still a good-looking ride, for sure.

-BEPNewt

Thanks ED , Your advice is appreciated I think you are right patience and more knowledge about these cars will pay off in the long run , right now I am caught in exactly like you mentioned ( love at first sight however I have been fairly interested in the past year its just these past few weeks that I am ready make a purchase . If something sound like its a good deal around this price range I also dont want to lose out on the oppurtunity so its a struggle mentally . This forum has been a great help in just one day after joining . THanks to all !

Guest Rob J

It's a nice car, but I don't think it is 22k nice. I just bought that white 65 Riv that was listed on here for $3,000. Now that I've got it home, and have started to go through it, it has proven to be a pretty solid car. It's wasn't a high option car like my GS, but it is a solid, mostly unmolested, original car, in need of some TLC. So, I think you could find a nice non GS car for under twenty. Heck, if you have budgeted 20k+, you may want to consider looking at that Silver 65 GS that's been for sale for a while in Cali. It's a known car in the community, and I'm almost sure the seller will take 25k for it.

OK V-10: Here's my suggestion. When you really know a 65 Riviera (which sounds like you are learning about at this time) and you REALLY dial one in that you would like to have....and are close to on the price....hop on the jet and have an in the flesh look. That way you know what your buying. Mitch

V-10

I'd like to invite you to identify yourself by name - we're a pretty friendly group here and also ask you to post your location on your avatar - that way when you're looking for parts, it's easier to direct you to what's close to you.

I was thinking that if you have an interest in a '65 Riviera, find one that's a really nice driver and pay from 5K to 10K for it and learn all about it. Then when you find that one that your heart won't let you sleep at night over, sell your driver and buy the one you've been looking for. You might find that you want a Gran Sport, or you might find that you become attached to a certain exterior/interior color scheme. Get to know as much as you can about them before you buy one. You might even discover that you'd like a '64 instead of a '65??? ALL 64's came with the 425 engine - it was an option in '65, and you might find that you don't want to fuss with the hidden headlight headaches that seem to come with age on some of the '65's.

Here's a link to the '65's that are on Craigslist right now. Without knowing where you live, I can't put a filter on the link to narrow the search.

buick riviera Site Mash of Craigslist, eBay, & More!++++

There are some 63 - 65's for sale on the Rivowners website as well.

Welcome to the Riviera Owners Association Homepage

Ed